Hardinge HLV workover

Wow Oh Wow !!!
Can only admire U Guys ingenuity
Still trying to pluck up enough courage to start refurb work my Chipmaster Lathe
Needs just as much work, if not more
Except U Guys have the know-how
Keep the pics roling
aRM

The new belts helped a lot but needed to align the motor and variable speed drive to really smooth it out. You'd wonder how they would ever have gotten shifted. The new belts aren't Good Year like the originals, these are made in Mexico and don't run perfectly true.
Anyway, she turned its first part. An arbour to hold the gear cutter to make the gear to repair itself. Sure leaves a nice finish and no runout on the collet.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1091.jpg

That is a nice looking tool post - not really good enough for the lathe - it would be more suitable on my Cromwell - just joking.
Michael

Yep, it's official now: :yousuck: and I'm:greenwithenvy: . :biggrin:

The gear that meshes with the rack to move the carriage was damaged.
Made a new one.

IMG_1092.jpg

Machined the old one off.

IMG_1094.jpg

Shrunk the new one on with 1 1/2 thou interference.

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg IMG_1094.jpg IMG_1095.jpg

Finished assembling it today.

IMG_1097.jpg

Its unnervingly quiet after running gear head lathes. Was concerned that my cut gear might not be perfectly formed, causing a pattern in the turned surface but all seams to be good.

IMG_1099.jpg

Im getting about 1/2 thou taper in 8 inches guess the tailstock needs tweaking. Overall think its going to be a good machine.
Thanks for watching
Greg

IMG_1095.jpg IMG_1097.jpg IMG_1099.jpg

Looks like a great job on fine piece of machinery. I'm sure you'll reap years of excellent service fro that lathe.

Great job!

Half a thou over 8" and a beautiful finish is mighty fine for a first test - It will be a great machine.
Michael

That's a great restore. The Hardinge is one of my all time dream lathes. I think it's hard to beat the curves of a HLV, a Rivett 1020s or a humble Colchester Chipmaster.

Paul.

Back