Hardinge HLV workover

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Picked up an older HLV on auction that apparently has been sitting for Years in storage at a government research center. Valleyboy101 met me last week and we looked it over before bidding, decided it looked pretty good.
Unloading it at home
IMG_1053.jpg

It has a few issues, it sat so long the belts had deformed around the pulleys, causing them to thump and shake the machine. The grease in the threading gears had turned to hard varnish, had to tear the end of the headstock pretty much totally apart to get them out and clean. Suspect the carriage got bumped in the warehouse and damaged the pinion which mates to the rack for carriage travel, but the rack is fine?.
When I had it far enough apart to address these things figured we may as well continue and dismantle the rest and paint.
There's a lot of parts in a lathe.

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1073.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1076.jpg IMG_1077.jpg

Wow I can't wait to watch this restore! What a dream machine when you have it done!

I look forward to your posts

Bernie

A lot of parts is right! The plasma table looked like too good a spot to leave empty, and I see it didn't - a great place to lay out the parts and keep them clean and organized.
Looks good and it will only get better from now on,
Michael

Hope I can remember where all the parts go and in what order. A flat surface that size in my shop never stays empty Im afraid.
Not really a restore just a cleanup and repair. The bed and cross slide look real good so no grinding and scraping that would be well beyond my capabilities.

Greg

Very VERY cool!

I too look forward to seeing this thing be reborn before my eyes.

I will throw out the obligatory YOU SUCK though!:))

- - - Updated - - -

Hope I can remember where all the parts go and in what order. A flat surface that size in my shop never stays empty Im afraid.
Not really a restore just a cleanup and repair. The bed and cross slide look real good so no grinding and scraping that would be well beyond my capabilities.

Greg

The old adage holds true that any surface even close to horizontal in a shop will quickly become filled beyond capacity. At least it does in my workspaces.

Have all the painted parts cleaned up and primed, ready to skirt some paint on the this aft.

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Nice and shiny now. Looks like the auto supply matched the colour pretty close.

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1085.jpg

Wow, you don't mess around! That's gonna look Purdy:man::man:

Spent the whole afternoon figuring out the combination the threading transmission had to go together to get all the pieces to clear each other as they slid in.

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Starting to look more like a lathe. Ordered new belts, they arrived today so the spindle went back in. Will hopefully get power to it tomorrow and spin it up.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Back