• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Hardinge horizontal on the Bay

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dabbler

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
sweet! I have 'no room' for any more machines, but if I did....

T Bredehoft

Active User
There's a lot of stuff that isn't there anymore, yeah, it had power X feed, also had a motor. Or an overhead belt drive. If I were organizing a museum, I'd be allover it, but I'm running a hobby shop, can't afford space for paperweights.

benmychree

John York
It looks like the headstock is off one of their lathes; why a handlever collet on a mill? Why a dovetail mount on the column top?
Sure is cute, 'tho!

westsailpat

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
All good questions B , IMO Hardinge was Waaay ahead of it's time . The sliding ram , who uses that now a days ? . Back in the day this was a serious machine for a shop , not us HM's . TB , yeah it's missing stuff , good luck finding it haha . But think of it , this was one of the first for Hardinge this machine was designed and produced before WWI ! This thing is a survivor . Here is a good read (thanks Tony). http://www.lathes.co.uk/cataract miller/index.html

[6]
[5] [7]