Hardinge HVL lathe question, How do the carriage stops work when chasing threads?

Trust but verify is an excellent thing to do,especially when applied to an expensive lathe like a Hardinge. You can get all kinds of incorrect advice from all kinds of people on a forum.

As I mentioned,I hadn't used my stop rods in some time,so I wanted to make sure you understood that. Also,I could only assume that the HLV and the HLVH were the same concerning stop rods. Best to verify that,too!

You can get all kinds of incorrect advice from all kinds of people on a forum.

Happily there was no bad advice on this thread. Thank you for your input.

I just used the HLV to chase threads using the stop for the first time, what a sweet feature! Threading up to a shoulder at a higher speed than I would be comfortable using a thread dial and half nut to start and stop... SWEEEET!

Thanks again!

Lowell

Does your hlv have a taper attachment if so can you post pics of it .
I picked up a taper attachment I thought was from an HLVH got it home yo find it different from mine but looks to be close
Now i think its HLV

Does your hlv have a taper attachment if so can you post pics of it .
I picked up a taper attachment I thought was from an HLVH got it home yo find it different from mine but looks to be close
Now i think its HLV

Pardon the dirt, it should be kept cleaner but it gets oiled and used.

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Hope these help sort it out.

Greg

IMG_1595.jpg IMG_1596.jpg

Wow thanks for the pics .
Sorry for the slow reply.
My suspicion was right it is for the Hardinge HLV the squarded off indicator is the kicker.
I'm missing the shoe on top that guides the carriage. But still a great find. Now I need to find This a good home it was almost scrap two weeks ago. Thanks for your time f350

I advise against using WD 40 to free up closely fitting parts. There are so many reports of WD eventually leaving gummy and very difficult to remove residue,I'd stay away from it. I advise you to take this warning seriously.

I use high grade mineral oil for lubing my machine. It is the same oil that Starrett uses in its yellow bottles of "Instrument oil". Use pharmaceutical grade mineral oil.

George,
I take your point about not lubricating regularly with WD40, you are right. I use it as a penetrating oil. I generally use a light way oil to lubricate my machines, what are your thoughts on that?
Carkrazd,
I could give it a loving home.

Sorry about neglecting to answer your WD40 question. I'd recommend Kroil as a penetrating oil. The last thing you want is crud getting into snugly fitting parts. You might just get that with WD40. Too many reports out there of WD leaving very hard to remove coatings of dried residue.

Back