Hardinge in the scrap pile

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
It's a CNC turret, tried to get the 5C collet out of it. Don't know if there is anything worth taking off of it I had them turn it right side up but didn't take anymore pics

IMG_20130911_120914.jpg IMG_20130911_120928.jpg

I find that just as hard to look at as the recent photos of people wrapped around their equipment.

Ray

We have a new metal salvage yard near us. I work next to this yard too. It's tough to see what is brought it! Many thoughts go through my mind as, "I could do something with that!" and other thoughts like that. Or, before that was broken, I could have fixed that!

attachment.php?attachmentid=60530&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1378996429.jpg

Those turret machines go cheap, if they go at all. If the spindle was not damaged, it might make a great CNC conversion though ;).

Pretty sad seeing it on it's face like that, looks like it was in good condition before that.

There are many parts of the world where this wouldn't have made it down the street before it was at least parted out and used.

Bernie

If it's not to late, the headstock and spindle bearing would be worth removing. Those spindle bearings are number 7 or 9 precision angular contact bearings. I believe Hardinge never changed designs on the HLV when they made thobe Hydraulic and NC mahines , so if you can retrieve the head you might be able to sell it on Ebay for $500.00. Those bearing new from Hardinge used to cost $2500.00. They have some odd sizes bores, but to a Hardinge owner they would probably want a spare head. Rich

It's a CNC turret, tried to get the 5C collet out of it. Don't know if there is anything worth taking off of it I had them turn it right side up but didn't take anymore pics

Makes me wonder if the electronics fried and it wasn't worth the expense to repair. Must be a tax write-off for some company. Shame

Went back today in just a nick of time cause they were shredding that pile & the only thing left was the lathe & it had even been ripped off of the base. I did get the head off of it along with 2 tool holders that are rather expensive.

Missed out on getting the air powered draw bar for my mill.

Charlie, You must have been "Blessed" by the machine gods for some reason. Thank them by making "chips". I only wish that I had an outlet nearby with such delectable offerings. I was seriously tempted to make an offer on the Rockwell hardness tester, but other things over-rode insanity.
Cheers, Cullen

Back