Hardinge TR-59 Restoration

It looks like I tuned in late, but I wanted to comment on your asbestos lining in the electric panel, etc.

High quality asbestos gaskets are usually brown amosite. That is double nasty stuff compared to the already very nasty chrysotile thermal system insulation/surfacing material in the electric panel.

Before disturbing asbestos, wet it thoroughly with water and a little dish soap. The soap is important to amend water's ability to permeate asbestos material. I would have just dunked the cover in a tub with soapy water, and scraped all the insulation away. Then run the water through a coffee filter, disposed of the water, and bagged the remains for the trash can (don't tell anyone) or drop it at a special landfill (not on your salary).

You did good on the lead paint, chemical strippers are the safest way to deal with that. Just wash up real good when you are done.

The old filler is pitch black and I have no idea whats in it but the only way to remove it is with a chisel and the a wire brush otherwise the bondo wont stick no matter how clean it is. I cover it in soapy degreaser and chisel it off then spay it on when wire brushing it off, I would leave it but it clogs sandpaper really quick and new filler wont stick to it. Im all done with removing that stuff so now its only sanding bondo and removing rust.

Forgot to mention it but I have an old solid brass lamp from the 1920s on it that I polished up and put on it and made a tool rack. I could sell the lamp and buy a cheaper one and get tooling for it. ( they run about $250 on fleabay)

IMG_5376.jpeg
Got the entire lathe primed, under the headstock, front of the headstock, rear of the bed all need some touch up bondo, way easier to see the imperfections when there is an even finish

Back