Hardinge VBS

Ripdog38

Registered
Registered
Not familiar with this model and looking for advise. Found someone with 3-4 of these and they look to be in great shape from the pictures for under $2000. This would be the only lathe in my home shop and wondering if it would be a good choice as I'm not familiar with Turret lathes. Also, do these models have a standard compound that you can swap in?

I believe it has a Brown & Sharp spindle taper and the collets get pushed to close, the BS collets should work if you have them ,the lever closer won’t work with 5c collets also the spindle will need an adapter for 5c.
I don’t remember it having a rack for The saddle to travel with. So a x slide may be a prob, They are a production lathe .
My brother got one and converting it to 5C is pricey. But he payed a lot less than that for it.
Got pic’s

As dlane said, its' a production lathe, set up for end of piece work. It won't turn diameters, won't thread. Exceptions, box turning and threading tools on the turret. Unless it comes with these, I'd despair of finding what you need.
I have and use an Ames turret lathe for 'second op' work, wouldn't do without it, but it's limited.

Last edited:
Thanks, I’m gonna limit my search to an HVL or other precision lathe, 618 Feeler or something.

consider adding a monarch 10EE to your search. Lots of bang/buck here.

Back