[Metrology] Hardness Test Blocks

Good points. Thanks gents. I purchased a lot of 5 so we’ll see if they are all the same, different or even the correct hardness scale. I seem to do that more often than not. I probably would have been smarter to buy a new one from overseas. At the end of the day it was $50. And worst case I have 5 to put back onto ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So on further inquiry apparently the blocks I bought are C scale. Pfew. Regards all and thank you for the reply’s/answers.

Also never grind the dimpled surface smooth. It might not be hardened through. There should be a cert with the block, if it was not thrown away.
Pierre
I think a more valid reason to not regrind the blocks is that if you just cleanup grind the test indentations out, there still would be compacted traces of the old tests that would be, in effect work hardened, and effect the accuracy of the new tests.

You could have someone near you with an accurate hardness tester check each one, then you can the results on the blocks. Too bad you are in Canada or I'd do it for you.

The blocks are calibrated at the factory under lab conditions with master blocks, how is anyone near you going to top that level of accuracy? As far as I know with my tester, there are no adjustment points on the machine, a test block tells you that there are no problems that are effecting the accuracy of your machine, such as damage to the diamond or other indenter; this was the case with a prior machine that I had, the diamond had a tiny chip on it, and the readings would not match the test samples; had to buy a new Brale indenter.

You could have someone near you with an accurate hardness tester check each one, then you can the results on the blocks. Too bad you are in Canada or I'd do it for you.

I REALLY appreciate that offer. Because I’m just a hobby guy your doing so would have been just fine. I’m only picking one of these test/calibration blocks up to see what my machine reads comparatively. The only reason I have the hardness tester in the first place is to “somewhat” accurately get an indication of the hardness of the material in my metal pile. Again thanks for the offer!

Derek

The blocks are calibrated at the factory under lab conditions with master blocks, how is anyone near you going to top that level of accuracy? As far as I know with my tester, there are no adjustment points on the machine, a test block tells you that there are no problems that are effecting the accuracy of your machine, such as damage to the diamond or other indenter; this was the case with a prior machine that I had, the diamond had a tiny chip on it, and the readings would not match the test samples; had to buy a new Brale indenter.

My machine is a Wilson Rockwell 3JR. Ironically I also have an older Buhler laboratory hardness tester (because deep down I’m ridiculous) that I could use for comparison, but it is intended more for sheet metal and jewellery applications. I’m not certain (as yet) that the 3JR is adjustable but I’m sure that I will learn/figure that out as I go. A buddy of mine has an optical comparator so I plan to inspect the indenter with it along with the Vickers and Knoop indenters that came with the Buhler. Worst case the indenters aren’t as pricy as one might think. I will say again that I really appreciate everyones input and the offer to check the hardness would have been great as far as my needs are concerned. We can all use a few more “buddy’s” near by!

Cheers

Derek

Back