Harold Hall advanced grinding rest

keep us informed. I may get started on mine soon.

Thanks for the tip about the mag bases.

I can't take credit for the idea. I saw/read someplace in one of Harold's pages where he used what looked like a couple of pieces of copper strip for the same reason. After seeing this I did some testing and sure enough, I was loosing holding power. I had some 1/8" aluminum plate so I made up some washers. Thought this would be easier than dealing with some small strip pieces.

Ted

So I have a couple of questions about this one:

1. Harold mentions using 50mm (2") square stock for the dovetail body, 32mm (1.25") square stock for certain things and 8mm or 6mm stock for others etc. Did you stick to the inch equivalent of the suggested sizes? I have a 3/16" plate (5mm) that I could use for the table.

2. Inexpensive A36 hot roll steel would suffice for this build?

3. A 2" square bar (A36) is about $35 for one foot length. Is one foot enough for this project? same question about the other stock i.e. if I were to order it how much do I need? The shipping that costs as much as the stock -at least online.

4. What size dovetail cutters should I purchase. I don't have any, I figured I'd buy them when needed but now that I'm buying them and I don't think the size matters all that much as long as they match what's a good general size to purchase?

Last edited:

1. Harold mentions using 50mm (2") square stock for the dovetail body, 32mm (1.25") square stock for certain things and 8mm or 6mm stock for others etc. Did you stick to the inch equivalent of the suggested sizes? I have a 3/16" plate (5mm) that I could use for the table.

3. A 2" square bar (A36) is about $35 for one foot length. Is one foot enough for this project? same question about the other stock i.e. if I were to order it how much do I need? The shipping that costs as much as the stock -at least online.

4. What size dovetail cutters should I purchase. I don't have any, I figured I'd buy them when needed but now that I'm buying them and I don't think the size matters all that much as long as they match what's a good general size to purchase?

1- See my earlier posts on this thread. I converted everything to inch dimensions as I drew it up in Fusion 360.

2- A36 is mostly what I used.

3- I used the material I had on hand. To determine how much stock you need, make a list of the material for each part and also include whatever stock you might need to hold the part while making it. Remember, you need to have "too much" to have enough! I always try to come up with a plan on how I will make everything before I even begin to make chips. How to hold things, how each part will progress through each process, make or buy the required tooling, what parts I should make first for proper fitting, etc. etc.. Always have a plan. You can even write your plan down while you make the parts in your mind before hand. This is what I have done for years. Also, having some material left over at the end of a project is a good thing.

4- I used whatever I had on hand. I would suggest ordering the largest cutter that will fit in the work piece. You should rough out the bulk of the material with an end mill and just use the dovetail cutter for the angled part. Make sure the cutter will fit.

A good source for material is https://hobbymetalkits.com/ I've used them several times. They have very reasonable shipping charges. They use Priority Mail and IIRC charge around $10. I don't know if they have all the material you need, but they might. You can also email them for stock they don't have listed and they will send you a quote.

You'll either have to work in metric or do what I did and draw things up as you go converting to inch dimensions. Doing so in Fusion 360 or other CAD will help you later on as you actually start making chips. Remember, you learn by doing... :)

Ted

I had a stick of cold roll 4”x 1/4” that I used for tables and flat work, nice square corners and no mill scale, very little clean up.

Thanks for the suggestions!

A stick of 4x1/4" for flat work sounds good. I need 2" square stock in steel for the dovetails but the hobbymetalkits.com site only has up to 1". I'm guessing (book's at home) the dove tails are approx 3" long? and there are two sets of them. If so I need at least 12" of the 2" stock material.

As for the dovetail cutter, is 60deg more common than 45deg? I was thinking a smaller dovetail would be easier for this job? Something like this 1/2" one or may be a 3/4"?

Back