Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

Are these fittings standard on this model and what greese and or oil are you using? See somebody had a good chuck vs top slide battle..

You never want to use grease on ways or other parts on a lathe that are exposed to chips and dust. There is special oil for the ways, slideway oil, which is relatively thin and non-sticky so it is easy to clean off. The oil has about the same feeling as oil for air tools.

In case an oil like a straight SAE 30 engine oil was used it would be difficult to remove fine dust like from cast iron. It is also good to cover the ways and put some paper behind the work piece in the chuck when turning cast iron.

Grease is only used for protected parts like e.g. closed gears and the backside of a chuck scroll wheel.

Last edited:
You never want to use grease on ways or other parts on a lathe that are exposed to chips and dust. There is special oil for the ways, slideway oil, which is relatively thin and non-sticky so it is easy to clean off. The oil has about the same feeling as oil for air tools.

In case an oil like a straight SAE 30 engine oil was used it would be difficult to remove fine dust like from cast iron. It is also good to cover the ways and put some paper behind the work piece in the chuck when turning cast iron.

Grease is only used for protected parts like e.g. closed gears and the backside of a chuck scroll wheel.
Ah yeah i know not to use grease on the ways! , but thanks anyways i was more inquireing about the threading gear box should they be oiled or greased?
I take it i need to make a high preasure oil gun for the fittings on the ways? Have any idea if theyre standard? Could i replace with cup oilers?

If it is open gears that are not running in an oil bath it should be grease or an oil that sticks to the gears. I use Shell Gadus, which is for lubricating of wire ropes and open gears.

You can wipe the ways with a clean and oiled rag.

thanks for the kind words chaps! the scan is from the Harrison Yahoo group, as I am a member,
Phil

Aside from a little student abuse looks like a nice machine. Should look great once you get her cleaned up and painted. Mike

Aside from a little student abuse looks like a nice machine. Should look great once you get her cleaned up and painted. Mike

Everything seems fairly good on the machine the cam lock on the tail stock is missing, thats abit anoying if anybody has some specs i can get a mate to machine one up.. all the slides are nice and smooth no bad dings wich is nice for the last 10 years its been used to just hold brass pieces and tap a thread with the tail stock because of all the health and safety stuff all school training lathes must have a chuck guard i was painting the exterior of the metal work room and seen it in a corner looking sad and neglected coverd in saw dust so i enquired about it the metal teacher just wanted the space for the brand new one they brought (cheap Chinese one) he told the principal it was dangerous and bent, so i snaped it up for $500.

Well I have finished my other projects and decided it was time to start this one.. after tearing half the lathe down I'm starting to question weather it's worth my time what do you guys think?
This is my finding so far
20161030_083053_zpsvcz9gn4k.jpg
20161030_083018_zpsxxcfyi41.jpg
20161030_083014_zpsqtpq2gkr.jpg
20161030_083136_zpscn4ocjep.jpg[URL=http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/laytonnz/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161030_083203_zpsp8uo0htl.jpg.html]20161030_083203_zpsp8uo0htl.jpg[/URL]

You need to provide more information. Are the bed ways worn ? Hard to tell from a photo . The swarth on the carriage just needs a clean up, give it a good soaking in kero . If the bed is not worn then you have a great lathe . Mike

Back