Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

I'd say soak it too. Clean her up real good re oil everything . After the paint job of course, what color are YA gonna pick ? SAFTEY orange with reflected strips. Or a good pine green even gray blue tinted . She looks in good shape for a school machine. Did YA score any other chucks or collets. The Orange is a jab for its multi colors. I've seen some loud colors on some tho. Good luck on the LATHE YA know you practically stole it for that money. Keep us in the loop on progress and or problems. Thanks

The ways don't look too bad. They are worn but I've seen worse and have used lathes with worn ways, too. Didn't stop me. Like Silverbullet said, clean her up and giver her a good bath in the right oils and put her to work! Replace those grease zerks with gits oil cups. McMaster-Carr has them provided they will ship to Canada. If not, someone there should have them. Ken

You need to provide more information. Are the bed ways worn ? Hard to tell from a photo . The swarth on the carriage just needs a clean up, give it a good soaking in kero . If the bed is not worn then you have a great lathe . Mike
Sorry forgot you guys can't read minds haha I've done some very basic tests with the limited equipment I have on hand and torn into the gear box to assess the damage will post results soon!

I want a general picture of how much I'll need to put into the old girl before I get top far into the clean up and fix up process I've found a few interesting fixing thus far hopefully no more supprizes.
20161031_204316_zpszudskv6b.jpg

20161031_204407_zps9oi52gif.jpg
20161031_204414_zpsseqi99bw.jpg
20161031_204421_zpsebbq2ls1.jpg
20161031_204520_zpsnzn7coi0.jpg
20161031_204618_zpsiinoc4qi.jpg
20161031_204646_zpsboxsuz8y.jpg
20161031_204738_zpslvcqzqdv.jpg
Tell me if i get abit picture heavy just hard getting a decent shot of the damaged parts
Looks like and feels like ripples in the dove tales must of happend when somebody hit the chuck with the compound slide...? could this be re scraped?
Thanks for replys also!

Last edited:
20161030_141838_zpsrnjkyvzi.jpg
20161030_141816_zpsm8h0ffr5.jpg
Im getting 0.04mm difference front to back measureing this way, correct me if im doing these things wrong im just after a quick and dirty measurements im not looking to make parts for nasa!

20161030_141030_zpsyp4nat3h.jpg
Im getting around 0.07mm difference here with the gib? Plates firm and can push the carrage from one end almost to the other with only minimum binding towards the tail stock end

Trying to lift the carrage im getting 0.12mm
When pushing down i get 0.04mm
Pushing right 0.04mm
Pushing left 0.11mm
Im not being gentle about it eather

20161030_133650_zpsxdchhrfa.jpg
20161030_133618_zps7peyhzol.jpg
Im thinking to fix this i could machine down the damaged area and sleve the shaft?
Or maybe when i make a new bush i could make it to suit the new diameter shaft? ideas??

The cross slide on the other hand.. now that seems to of had a hideing im unsure how im going to approach that one its seen some better days ill try post some pictures shortly seems exeptoinally worn or something cant quite put my finger on the problem yet

Last edited:
I'd say soak it too. Clean her up real good re oil everything . After the paint job of course, what color are YA gonna pick ? SAFTEY orange with reflected strips. Or a good pine green even gray blue tinted . She looks in good shape for a school machine. Did YA score any other chucks or collets. The Orange is a jab for its multi colors. I've seen some loud colors on some tho. Good luck on the LATHE YA know you practically stole it for that money. Keep us in the loop on progress and or problems. Thanks
I got a few things a face plate, a catch plate a box of HHS tools some large carbide tools a small 4 jaw chuck another face plate from i dont know what nothing super exciteing

A few comments. The bed looks OK to me , that tiny bit of wear is nothing to worry about .
The cross slide looks a bit the worse for wear but again , it is probably useable as it is . The cross slide nut will be worn but thats not a disaster either .
You might ask G&M tools for a new shaft , they are in the UK, they bought the old Harrison works spares , they have bits on EBAY . . There is a guy in NZ who has L5 parts on EBAY . Have you seen this kiwi guy with L5 bits ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lathe-Ha...710095?hash=item1c6ed7a34f:g:OrkAAOSw9IpXzkNn

I bought a L5 fixed steady from him . One thing that annoys me about the early L5's is the small bore of the spindle, it is only 7/8" .

The later L5's from the mid 1950's on had a hardened bed .

Last edited:
A few comments. The bed looks OK to me , that tiny bit of wear is nothing to worry about .
The cross slide looks a bit the worse for wear but again , it is probably useable as it is . The cross slide nut will be worn but thats not a disaster either .
You might ask G&M tools for a new shaft , they are in the UK, they bought the old Harrison works spares , they have bits on EBAY . . There is a guy in NZ who has L5 parts on EBAY . Have you seen this kiwi guy with L5 bits ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lathe-Ha...710095?hash=item1c6ed7a34f:g:OrkAAOSw9IpXzkNn

I bought a L5 fixed steady from him . One thing that annoys me about the early L5's is the small bore of the spindle, it is only 7/8" .

The later L5's from the mid 1950's on had a hardened bed .

Thanks I've actually brought several things from him before the quality or Condition seems to vary massively but I've asked him how much for the splined shaft

I'm pretty sure my lathe is from late 1950 and it's an un hardened bed? Wasn't it a factory option?

What is the gib supposed to look like ? Does anybody have a picture?
I feel as if mines been butcherd

Thanks

Last edited:
The lathes uk website . Tony writes that the hardened bed was introduced on all the L5's in the mid 1950's . Can you run a file over a edge to check it ?
You might have to learn scraping ! I'm really not a expert in any way . I think the gib is tapered - Hmm might be tricky to repair that .
The L5 I have came off a ship , it had a weird DC motor on it.

BTW a guy on ebay uk had a L5 top slide

The lathes uk website . Tony writes that the hardened bed was introduced on all the L5's in the mid 1950's . Can you run a file over a edge to check it ?
You might have to learn scraping ! I'm really not a expert in any way . I think the gib is tapered - Hmm might be tricky to repair that .
The L5 I have came off a ship , it had a weird DC motor on it.

BTW a guy on ebay uk had a L5 top slide

Back