Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

You have been busy , very nice work.

I haven't pulled the headstock apart but there is a guy on another forum who did a full rebuild of a L5. You should be able to find it easily if you do a google search.

How did you make the new bronze nut, it looks great ?

Thanks i pressed a steel sleve on then turned OD turned ID used a 10 tpi 1/2 inch left hand acme tap with a homemade spring loaded center

20170219_150936_zpsrhp2pqff.jpg

20170218_165710_zpsd5hts3p3.jpg

Sorry, i dont know what happend it posted 4x i tried to delete 3 of them then they all went and there was 2 posts>!!>?!?!!

Last edited:
That's a interesting machine you have - the tappng job on it turned out well.

I like my L5, its a clunky old thing but its solid and accurate too .

Ive been making some valve guides for a old Morris 6 cyl. engine.

That's a interesting machine you have - the tappng job on it turned out well.

I like my L5, its a clunky old thing but its solid and accurate too .

Ive been making some valve guides for a old Morris 6 cyl. engine.

Well I'm feeling abit defeated now, I started on the compound slide and found a crack... also the headstock gears are in need of desperate attention and or replacement. .. !!!!

The headstock is quite daunting to look at, I swear the more time I put into this lathe the more I question if it's worth it!!

Ps don't worry about all the smhoo in the headstock it's not metal or anything its mostly suicideal bugs..

Today's progress,

This shaft is pretty sagged but I can't afford a new one at the moment so I machined the damage off, filed the teeth and gave a light clean up

Then I proceeded to strip the rest of the headstock the top shaft is stuck due to a stubborn taper pin so it can stay there next will be striping some paint then a big clean up!

An hour or so with some paint stripper it's proper industrial stuff from work in one go it has removed 2 layers of what looked like acrylic and a layer of the original epoxy type paint and the filler

While I was stripping the paint I noticed the headstock is slightly cocked to one side would this be factory? By the looks of it nobody had ever been in the headstock so it can't have been unbolted and moved I know this thing has had a decent crash looking at the compound slide... what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back