Harrison L5 Lathe Restoration

Slow going as usual but this is where im at,

im getting around 0.005MM run out from the spindle i think?

unfortunately i crushed my dial indicator with a V8 flywheel i was machining for the neighbor, broke the bezel and squished the indicator body.

The new bearings are in, made new pins for clutch, welded some holes up in chip pan...

Working on clutch, im having issues with it slipping, im missing something or its too oily or... im not sure yet but i will figure it out!

Can't wait to see the video of it up and running, keep up the good work! My week so far has been lawnmowers and garden tractors, and it's raining cats and dogs!

So we have made progress

I'm working on the taper turning attachment it was cracked and broken so I milled the broken piece out and will bolt some more cast iron in there, i may mill the whole slot and replace the lot as it's worn

Made a motor mount and brazed one of the mounts up, put a few coats of paint on the bed masked and primed most of the other stuff got 3 new gates belts I still have a bench full of lathe. ...! Some pictures are from a few weeks ago progress is slow as usual but it's progress, if anybody has a compound for one of these machine please send me a PM as mine is toast.

Also anybody in NZ want to do some milling and grinding on the cross slide?

Tell ya what I'm looking forward to the end!!

also i got the clutch working, i had the stack wrong + the bushing i made was too short, i copyd the original but it must have been really worn so i solderd a bronze extension on.. seems to work fine. i dont fancy making a new bushing it took ages to make and it was a big chuck of bronze.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Still watching! looking good, I would go for a Harrison if I didn't have the Colchester! Remeber that you can always replace worn parts at a later date, when and as you can afford, good luck with it all!
Phil

Back