Harrison M300 13" x 40" engine lathe 3hp England - $2,800 (santa clara, CA)

And yes, it looks an awful lot like my Bolton.

1600616407505.png

But they have to copy something, right?

John

Wish it were closer. I'd dump my Craftsman for that lathe in a heartbeat.

Thats a good quality lathe for the price.
Hard to judge condition from phone pics but looks in so so shape. Kinda par for whats out there unfortunately. As long as everything works and it isn’t worn out $2800 is a good price and you would negotiate down some I assume.
One thing you rarely find on hobby size lathes is a foot brake.
My 11” Colchester has a brake and after getting accustomed to having it would not consider a lathe without one. 3phase a plus too.
Parts are likely still available thru 600 but wicked expensive. Anyone who considering this one may want to check first just to be eyes open.

One thing you rarely find on hobby size lathes is a foot brake.
My 11” Colchester has a brake and after getting accustomed to having it would not consider a lathe without one.

One of the bad things about getting used to a foot brake is trying to stomp on it when the lathe doesn't have one.

Be careful. I had a Harrison M300 a few years ago that was an absolute steal ($900). It is definitely a Made-in-England machine, and it was a very heavy, well constructed lathe. The only problem was that, depending on the age of the machine, if you need replacement parts, you better be sitting down when you hear the price. Clausing is now the US distributor, and older parts are no longer made. They can make them for you - one off - but it is expensive. Finding used parts is one step removed from impossible. I needed a change gear for it, but for a long time I just lived without it (did not have mid-range speeds). I continually trolled the internet and found a guy that had a complete gear box that I bought for three- or four-hundred dollars. (The machine was dropped on the tailstock end and ruined. The gearbox and everything on the headstock end was fine, and he was parting it out.) I used the gear I needed out of it and used the rest of the gearbox assembly to drive an elevator I made to lift my 12" rotary table. (That's the gear box in the lower left:)

IMG_1540.JPG

No question, they are very heavy built, well-made machines, but if anything needs to be replaced, the bargain can turn into a real nightmare in a hurry.

Regards

My Bolton looks like it could have one, just need to fab one up. Worth it?

John

Back