Harvey Butterfly Die Filer Rebuild

George - can you post a link to a motor and controller you'd recommend? Thanks.

Its been a little while since I made an update. This thing was extremely dirty, nasty and full of filings. So it took quite a while to get all the parts cleaned stripped, prepped and painted. I decided to go with a hammered black/dark gray color. Its going back together now. Next I'm working to adapt the new motor to it. This motor has a 1/2" shaft rather than 5/8", so I ordered a sleeve adapter for the pulley. I also need to rework the belt guard mounting. Then the switch and wiring. Overall, its coming along well.

Bf2_zpsugd43l2e.jpg

Bf1_zpsenmoawlr.jpg

Bf3_zpsi9b6hoyn.jpg

Hey Steve,

One question:
Where are you sourcing the files?
I use my old Delta scroll saw as a filer and I am always looking for good file sources.......

Thanks,
-brino

Brino - I have 3 files right now. As you know, they are scarce. I see them occasionally on ebay but wanted to make sure the machine came out good before spending big bucks on more files. I may try using hand files by cutting off the tang, then grinding the other end to fit the chuck. I saw a discussion about doing this somewhere. I'm still learning!

Nice job! What's the little brass valve in the oil hole do?

John

Nice job! What's the little brass valve in the oil hole do?

John

That valve is on the fill level hole. I open the valve, then remove the plug above it and fill with oil until it runs out the drain valve into a catch bowl. It's not really necessary. It just keeps oil from running down the side of the machine.

Back