Has any body tried these threading gears

Tubal Cain on youtube made some threading gears on a printer with good results. I suspect they would work fine. I think they are a bit pricey, personally, but that's easy to say when you own a printer. If you can find some STL files on thingiverse for some you want, link me to them and I'll print you some. Would be fun to meet a local hobby machinist.

Now, what would be the best material to use? ABS?
I see on the commercial sites that they even offer steel infused with bronze and even titanium.

For home guys, nylon and ABS are likely the best choices. For high end you can do metal sintered, but it won't be cheap. If they are talking about the metal infused plastic filament, don't bother. That's just metal powder in the plastic. It's for looks, not strength.

Not calling anyone's experience into question here, but wouldn't the metal powder impart some degree of improved wear characteristic as opposed to just the straight plastic? Kind of like putting metal powder into epoxy ala JB Weld, or is that just for looks as well, you think? I remember the silver and gold wax crayons when I was a kid seemed to last way longer than all the others In the box....

-frank

I've only tried a couple for cosmetic reasons. It has somewhat better resistance to friction. However, the strength in shear is not changed noticeably. Something like the Markforged printer that strings a fiber though the whole part has potential.

The library printed out 2 32 tooth gears for my SB9 lathe. One was done at 30%, since the librarian was wondering if the teeth would shear off. (He's a buddy, so it's all good.) They both worked fine at 8tpi in mild steel with a decent DOC. Note that the 30% gear has full fill in the teeth. Its bore was a little wobbly, so I had to epoxy a washer on the face.

And, just what is wrong with plain old steel or cast iron? I have made a multitude of change gears for my machines of steel, no big deal!!!!

And, just what is wrong with plain old steel or cast iron? I have made a multitude of change gears for my machines of steel, no big deal!!!!
The cost of the metal gears is 4 time as much, and I dont have the gears for metric threads

Back