Has any body tried these threading gears

They don't cost much if you make them yourself ------

Perhaps after you have already bought gear cutters and indexing tooling. Not everyone already has those, even among hobby machinists. The original poster might not even own a mill. A decent 3D printer is pretty cheap these days and many people interested in making things will either have one or have access to one via libraries, friends, etc..

Sure, it's ideal to cut some metal gears, but sometimes we have to work with what we have. Heck, I have a Bridgeport and just recently got a way to index. I don't have a gear cutter though.

I went a head and bought the gear's on ebay, when I get a few extra minutes ill cut a thread with them and let everybody know how it goe's. Thanks for all the input

If you can find some STL files on thingiverse for some you want, link me to them and I'll print you some. Would be fun to meet a local hobby machinist.

Just FYI, Fusion-360 (free for home use) has a built-in gear generator that works well.
With it I have generated and 3d-printed a few spur gears with decent results.
However, I have not tried them with high torques yet.....

-brino

You can find it in "Add-ins", "Scripts and AddIns", "Spur Gear":

Here's the parameter dialog box:

Thanks "JustJoe"

A few years back, when getting tooling for my Logan 820 lathe, I got a set of steel metric transposing gears (37 and 47 teeth) off ebay, but no instructions. But I thank you for your posted eBay link, where the vendor shows me what I need.

Greg

FYI; I'm finding out that you'll need a 100 tooth gear to go with the 47/37 combo. To use on the screw side

A commonly cited metric conversion gear is 63 and 80, but this is an approximation. My myford came with a 127 tooth that I believe offers the least possible error in metric thread cutting on an imperial machine.

FreeCAD also has a gear generator plugin that works well and could not be easier to use.

For interest...
There is a free change gear calculator app for android that will use the list of gears you have and your leadscrew pitch to calculate the gears needed to cut any thread you want, imperial or metric. It will even identify which gear(s) you are missing if that is the case. If I ever met its creator I might be tempted to kiss him.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FYI; I'm finding out that you'll need a 100 tooth gear to go with the 47/37 combo. To use on the screw side

Hi Joe,
Why do you need a 100 tooth gear? What lathe do you have?
I made some aluminum and delrin gears for my SB9A (37/47) combo and they worked well with the gears I had or made--but no 100 tooth.
I no longer have the SB9A:blue: and gave the aluminum gears to someone on the forum.

287208Maybe I'm misunderstanding this gear chart that comes with the gear
I was thinking I'd need the 100 tooth gear for the screw, my machine is the logan 210 with out a gear box.

Back