Has any one built a bowl lathe

Beautiful work.
A cousin does this with Aspen, his lathe is similar to the left end of the lathes discussed here, home built. The chisel rest is on a stand so it can be moved easily and my guess at his homemade chisel length is 30". He hunts for particular shapes for his work and I believe he travels to Arizona to sell his work.
Have a good day
Ray

My grandfather build t lathe can hold a 4ft diameter piece of wood, bolted down to the floor has a 3ph 3hp motor with a 2 to 1 reduction with two pillow block bearings a 12in by 3in piece of round steel as an face plate plus 1000lbs of steel plates on the base and he made vases 3ft deep on wood 200 years old. That thing is big and scary.

My grandfather build t lathe can hold a 4ft diameter piece of wood, bolted down to the floor has a 3ph 3hp motor with a 2 to 1 reduction with two pillow block bearings a 12in by 3in piece of round steel as an face plate plus 1000lbs of steel plates on the base and he made vases 3ft deep on wood 200 years old. That thing is big and scary.
Can you obtain pictures? That sounds amazing.

joe

Sorry for no replies folks. Father in law, 91, broke hip in May, took sister that lives in FL from my home in AL to Mayo in MN in June for open heart surgery. Then major home maintenance for months, finally a little slow down. Maybe a chance o think more about lathe project. Only one bowl turned since last spring as a gift to be given away for a breast cancer charity golf tourney run by a friend . I prayCovid has not fought any of you unprepared.
Dave

We can wait. Take the time you need to ensure family is good. Wishing your family a speedy recovery.

joe

There is 1000lbs of steel to hold it down and bolted to 8 inch concrete the face plate is 4 inches thick and 16 inches across with a 3 horsepower motor with a 6 to 1 belt reduction and about 1000 rpm motor with VFD.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
Whoa! A16" face plate with all of that. You could turn some seriously hard woods with that - those tough to turn things most of us like to see done. You have some marvelous capacity with that gem!

joe

Whoa! A16" face plate with all of that. You could turn some seriously hard woods with that - those tough to turn things most of us like to see done. You have some marvelous capacity with that gem!

joe
My grandfather spent about 40 hours making vases that are 3 feet wide and 5 feet tall and the one tree was 211 years old quite amazing once I get my shop I will probably turn bowls but he had to use an engine jack to pick up the logs.

Now thats impressive !!!!
A bowl lathe is on my list of to does, but probably not that grand.

Greg

Back