[Antique] Has Any One Ever Turned A Van Norman To Cnc

r.vial

Registered
Registered
I have a van Norman 22ul that has a r8 adapter in it I got the mill and the power feed on the table was broken and that fuze box was shot so I put a new motor on with a new on and off switch and mill by hand but it would be nice to turn it to CNC any one got any idea on . How to go about doing it any help would be nice

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Anything is possible. ;) You are only limited by your imagination and budget.

Is the machine in overall good condition? Things pretty tight and not worn out?

Then start by figuring out what ball lead screws you are going to use, size, pitch. Maybe match the diameter of the existing screws, and a 0.200 pitch. Are you going to make it 2 or 3 axis? Then decide on what the axis motors are going to be: Open Loop Steppers, or some derivative of a closed loop (servo) system. Then it's time to decide how much power the axis drives need. Probably in the 400 to 1200 oz/in range, depending on type of motor. Then how are you going to control it? Linuxcnc, Mach3/4, some other system?

This should get the creative juices flowing a bit.:)

r.vial,
I sincerely wish you well with your VN22LU.
I don't know anything about CNC operation or conversion.
However, should you ever decide you need to part with her, then please let me know, as now that I know mine is at least operable I'll be tearing down my VN22LU. She needs some seals, and scraping, additionally there are some poorly repaired table castings I'll be wishing I had.
Alternatively, mine came in "kit" condition.
The knee and tables had been torn down and were piled in four milk crates. Replete with extra parts from other machines and VN parts missing.
It was a big puzzle with the exploded view the best, but inadequate assist in reassembly.

It is possible that we could get yours operable. It could be as simple as adjusting the clutch in the knee, or making some gears should there be excessive wear.

Please advise if you want assist in adjustment or decide to sell her.

Daryl
MN

Thank u yes it runs and mills fine I just have back problems and it gets tiresome to crank it I may just make a key that fits a drill so I can,power it up down and back and forth by the drill like people do with bridge ports and I say she is ugly because of the pant is gone and some.serfece rust but every thing works good.it was not.used as much as you would think the guy I got it from it.was his dads and when they sold his dads house the guy I got.it from him they put it I. The back of.the shop for years and it just set lost.to time.but I love the old.gal and I will rebuild it one day

Once I got mine assembled my "TwinDisc" powerfeed just needed some clutch adjustment to maker her operable.
Incidentally, I found the a source for OEM clutch plates if you need them.

Daryl
MN

I would be greatful for any help on that thank u

Parts?
No, after some digging I found the original manufacture of the "TwinDisc" clutches.
As two of mine were well beyond salvage, I either needed to fab, find used or find an old inventory.
I founds only the clutch plates. Unless you've had yours apart and know they are bad, you don't want these just in case, maybe, someday....
$$

Manuals?

Check out the Downloads section here at HM. Last I checked there was some stuff posted here not available at other sites.
Also check: http://www.machinistweb.com/manuals/

Daryl
MN

r.vial,
I sincerely wish you well with your VN22LU.
I don't know anything about CNC operation or conversion.
However, should you ever decide you need to part with her, then please let me know, as now that I know mine is at least operable I'll be tearing down my VN22LU. She needs some seals, and scraping, additionally there are some poorly repaired table castings I'll be wishing I had.
Alternatively, mine came in "kit" condition.
The knee and tables had been torn down and were piled in four milk crates. Replete with extra parts from other machines and VN parts missing.
It was a big puzzle with the exploded view the best, but inadequate assist in reassembly.

It is possible that we could get yours operable. It could be as simple as adjusting the clutch in the knee, or making some gears should there be excessive wear.

Please advise if you want assist in adjustment or decide to sell her.

Daryl
MN
Hello I have a ? For u out side of Rpi i. Rockford were is a place to get seal sight glasses and parts made or new old stock or find any thing for can Norman 22 lu mills

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

Sorry to Necro this thread, But I just drug home a VN22L.
The Powerfeed isn't working, and I think the first place to start is adjusting the clutch. I can't figure it out from the manual or the plate.
Where's the pin? and how do you disengage the clutch?
The Feed Drive Splined Shaft is turning from the drive motor, but the bevel gear and shaft (the little gear that pokes in the knee compartment, and engages with the clutch) isn't turning.
It will turn reluctantly by hand, and every now and again makes a feeble attempt to move forward a couple of teeth.
Doesn't sound like it's eating itself, so my guess is the Clutch just needs some adjustment.
Thanks!

Back