Has anyone ever used a dry film lubricant?

Zman0690

Registered
Registered
I posted this on the yahoo group as well but I was curious if anyone has attempted to put a dry film lubricant on any of their screws, gears, or cross slide/tailstock mating surfaces. I have looked at several tech sheets of these products which state they can be applied to these surfaces (even the ways) but after searching have not found anything in this group or on other forums where this has been applied. Obviously I'm not suggesting it as a substitute for oiling but more along the lines of something that can be done to reduce wear and provide lubrication when adequate oiling is not achieved. And please if you are going to make a comment about not using it please back it up with reasoning, I'm not looking for blanket statements of dismissal.

I use Dri-Slide (from McMaster-Carr). It is molybdenum in a penetrating oil base. Goes on wet, soaks in, and then dries, leaving the moly. I have been pleased with it. It comes in a small 4 oz bottle, but you only need one drop for most things. I give it several coats, then top it with oil.

I use DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant - a dry lube - for much of my woodworking equipment.
Hope to use it for the metalworking equipment as well.

Back