Has anyone here ever make a bump die?

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
Due to the unavailability of, well everything, I am thinking about making a bump die to bring .30cal cast bullets up to .311-.312.
I am just wondering about the nose design. I assume that it will need a punch that has the contour of the bullet nose to remove it from the die?

What diameter are the cooled 30 cal bullets out of the mold. They should already be more than .308''
Could you not just ease the mold open to get .312'' bullets?

An over size sizing die with the proper nose top punch will probably take you where you want to go. With hard lead it may take more pressure than a sizer lubber will give you A little experimenting should tell. let us know how things work out.

A higher tin and antimony alloy will cast a larger dia bullet IME not sure if that will get you there from where you are. If you need some metal that will add tin and antimony to your lead to try out send me a pm

there’s a lot of this information on a site where most people cast their boolits. Lots of tips on how to open up molds.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I hadn't thought of tweaking the alloy to change the diameter. This will be for an SKS. I have a 170gr .30cal mold, the only thing that I'm not sure about is what would happen with the longish nose that is not bore riding. I wouldn't want to make a condition that would leave a projectile in the barrel after clearing the chamber to make safe.
I would definitely consider opening up the mold as well.
One other option I have is, I have a 185gr .312dia mold for my Argentine Mauser. I could make a collet for this bullet and remove one or two driving bands off of the bottom to get something between 125 and 150 grains. It might be kind of tedious though. I would recycle the lead shavings.

170 kinda heavy for 7.62x39. Would take up powder space. Cut to 130-140. Then size. Might have to clean gas port from time to time. You’re reloading commercial cases?

Yes, I have a couple hundred brass cases, mixed head stamps, all LRP. Perhaps that is the answer. Cast the 185's and trim them back in my lathe, leave relief for a gas check. Atleast until I can find a proper mold.
Back in the fall, my son picked up 2 SKS's at an estate sale. He got one that takes AK mags, and I got a standard issue version. He has been bugging me to go to the range with him, and guess what there is no ammo anywhere. He did buy a few hundred rounds of factory, but he way overpaid for it. I am much more patient.

Last edited:
I remembered that I had 1000 or so 185gr fmj's. I got them years ago when I was shooting an Enfield. I don't know their history, but they are pulls, and kind of unicornish because they measure .313 - .314. They are perfect for a worn out, or an oversized wartime production rifle.
Anyway, they are much too big (long and heavy) to load for an sks.
I made a collet to hold then in my 3 jaw chuck. I was planning to make 2, but the same collet worked perfectly for both the nose and the base trimming operations. The max OAL for the 7.62×39 is 2.2", so I had to trim the long nose. I got the bullet weight down to just under 150gr.
20210124_191432.jpg20210124_173021.jpg
It looks like they hadn't perfected bonding a lead core to a copper jacket yet. My guess is that these are WW2 surplus.
20210124_192048.jpg20210124_182829.jpg

Be really careful with these if both the nose and base is “open”, especially of the core isn’t bonded very well. I remember reading reports where the lead core left the barrel but the jacket didn’t, causing a bore obstruction for the next round fired. An open tip or open base is fine, but not both!

Back