[4]

Has anyone made a car engine flywheel from scratch

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I have a spare engine from a automatic but can't find a flywheel that will fit, to put a clutch on it,( i hate automatic) the engine has a wird 7 bolt pattern also needs to have the crank sensor for the ignition on it, is it possible for me to machine my own flywheel and what material can i use.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hi Goce, of course you should use a good quality steel but remember you must also balance it carefully- would it not be easier to adapt one from another model or make? And what about the ring gear?
mark

T Bredehoft

Active User
The ring gear should be available from a parts counter. Though the availability of parts counters may be a problem in Macedonia.
Steel or Cast Iron for material. Once it's made and the ignition sensor and ring gear are applied, (take the ring gear from the torque converter? it could be balanced, as if it were a grinding wheel.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
I can take off the starter ring also the crank speed sensor ring, its sheet metal ring with holes. and i can place them in the correct spot, but i'm not sure if i can weld them without moving, the crank sensor must be with in 0,6 mm to read correctly, i'll keep looking for a similar bolt pattern, but most flywheels are 8 bolts and this engine has 7 bolt pattern.

markba633csi

May have to cut out the center section and weld in a new fabricated piece with 7 bolt circle pattern

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
May have to cut out the center section and weld in a new fabricated piece with 7 bolt circle pattern
I'm not so sure i'll like to have my feet near a cut and welded flywheel at 6-7000 rpm.

markba633csi

What, you don't trust your formidable skills? ;)

T Bredehoft

Active User
i'm not sure if i can weld them without moving,
A C clamp or other clamping device sould do the holding while you weld.

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
Keep in mind the other differences between manual and automatic, such as the crank bored for a pilot bearing/bushing, and the possible difference bolting to the block. Not that you haven't worked this all out, just thought I'd mention it.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
What, you don't trust your formidable skills?
I've had pressure plate come apart on me and nearly cut off my feet absolutely wrecked the car ,(google it flywheel explodes) so i'm not doing any welding to have hard spots. I know there is lots of differences and i don't plan to use a gearbox that will bolt on so i'll do my measurements and cut and weld bellhousings, i've done couple of those, but always used factory flywheel.

WarrenP

Registered
When I used to race 1/4 mile they had. Clutch cages in case the clutch exploded.. I'm sure they have it for automatics too don't they? Be safe.

jocat54

Active User
When I used to race 1/4 mile they had. Clutch cages in case the clutch exploded.. I'm sure they have it for automatics too don't they? Be safe.
We called them scatter shields--a flywheel coming apart even at low rpm will cause a lot of damage.
Had one come apart at 8500 rpm on small block chevy--was really glad I had the scatter shield.

WarrenP

Registered
Yes, scatter shields... I couldn't remember the name.... been quite a few years. :grin:

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
No one around here has or sells scattershields, i could order one but import tax and other duttys will be very high, just makes more sense to make it right. it will be used on the street, as here we don't have racetrack so others will be in danger also.

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You may need to check specs on flywheel .some engines have out of balance flywheels to balance the rotating mass.if you put a early model small block ford flywheel on a late model it will not be balanced.and visa versa..could be your engine is a neutral balance.maybe not.if you make a flywheel you made need to have it balanced to your rotating mass.crank.rods.pistons.rings.damper.

FOMOGO

Active User
As said above, balance is critical. Some engines are internally balanced, others externally with the addition of a small weight to the flywheel or metal removal from same. This can change even in the same engine family. Was the engine in question available with a standard transmission? You could always use it direct drive to power your new drill press :). Mike

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
It's a fairly new V6 engine and was avelable with manual transmissions but all for front wheel drive, and i want to go RWD and the manual transmission has different ECU wiring and sensor ring for the crank sensor. Its is internally balanced no need for off balance flywheel, and i've looked for a flywheel from a manual for close to 2 years now without any success.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
As said above, balance is critical. Some engines are internally balanced, others externally with the addition of a small weight to the flywheel or metal removal from same. This can change even in the same engine family. Was the engine in question available with a standard transmission? You could always use it direct drive to power your new drill press :). Mike
Sure Mike, but i thought it will fit better on my shop build chop saw it probably weighs less than this 10 hp cast iron electric motor;)
DSC_0177.JPG

WarrenP

Registered
Well, the scatter shield can save your life. Dont know why you cant get one around there but the reason they made them is for the reason you stated , if it exploded you or others around could die.. lots of people have. I dont want this to be a lecture but wanted to impress upon you the importance of it and especially if your making one yourself, I know I wouldnt take a chance. The extra money, to get one shipped to you,f or a piece of mind and possibly your life would be worth it in my opinion. Good Luck with your project, Have fun. Warren

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Warren, you've not been in central europe, balkans here 90% of cars are 4 cylinder under 2 litre engine more than half are diesels there is no performance shops, i've had to go across the border to neighboring countries to buy parts at 10x mark up prices, just because the import taxes are so high, about a year ago i did an rear wheel drive conversion on a 405 Mi16x4 and had to redo the entire fuel system so i vent shop to shop looking for AN braded line and fitings, and could not found so i order directly from Aeromotive in the us, fittings and an fuel Regulator all in was 420 euros, the import taxes comes up to 1200 euros, so i'm not biting that bullet again.

WarrenP

Registered
Like I said, Im not lecturing or judging you... Just pointing out how important the safety is, I think especially since your making it yourself. It's obviously your choice and I wish you luck. Have fun with it..

rick9345

Active User
A ballistic blanket/vest wrapped around bell housing will also serve to protect.

Cadillac

Registered
Here in the states it's unheard of for someone to whip up a flywheel. A automatic would be alittle easier I would think. But the starter ring would have to be transplanted from a donor no? Manual alittle more complicated but I can say doable worth the proper materials to start. Where to get the spec measurements??? Just make the trans tunnel out of 1/4" plate shield for some protection. Here I'd just buy one new or hit the junk yards. If their so popular there has to be some in the yards.

dfsmoto

What, you don't trust your formidable skills? ;)
Yep go fo
I have a spare engine from a automatic but can't find a flywheel that will fit, to put a clutch on it,( i hate automatic) the engine has a wird 7 bolt pattern also needs to have the crank sensor for the ignition on it, is it possible for me to machine my own flywheel and what material can i use.
Just build it. You can do it!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Here I'd just buy one new or hit the junk yards. If their so popular there has to be some in the yards.
I appreciate the advice, but there's a reason why this engine is sitting for 5-6 years it is an rare engine only used couple of years in FWD cars, infakt this is this engines last effort to get used and not get scrapped, in the US modifying cars is an much easier process, aftermarket parts are available and average monthly income is 90% higher which makes them more affordable.

[6]
[5] [7]