Has anyone made a car engine flywheel from scratch

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I have a spare engine from a automatic but can't find a flywheel that will fit, to put a clutch on it,( i hate automatic) the engine has a wird 7 bolt pattern also needs to have the crank sensor for the ignition on it, is it possible for me to machine my own flywheel and what material can i use.

Hi Goce, of course you should use a good quality steel but remember you must also balance it carefully- would it not be easier to adapt one from another model or make? And what about the ring gear?
mark

The ring gear should be available from a parts counter. Though the availability of parts counters may be a problem in Macedonia.
Steel or Cast Iron for material. Once it's made and the ignition sensor and ring gear are applied, (take the ring gear from the torque converter? it could be balanced, as if it were a grinding wheel.

I can take off the starter ring also the crank speed sensor ring, its sheet metal ring with holes. and i can place them in the correct spot, but i'm not sure if i can weld them without moving, the crank sensor must be with in 0,6 mm to read correctly, i'll keep looking for a similar bolt pattern, but most flywheels are 8 bolts and this engine has 7 bolt pattern.

May have to cut out the center section and weld in a new fabricated piece with 7 bolt circle pattern

Keep in mind the other differences between manual and automatic, such as the crank bored for a pilot bearing/bushing, and the possible difference bolting to the block. Not that you haven't worked this all out, just thought I'd mention it.

What, you don't trust your formidable skills?

I've had pressure plate come apart on me and nearly cut off my feet absolutely wrecked the car ,(google it flywheel explodes) so i'm not doing any welding to have hard spots. I know there is lots of differences and i don't plan to use a gearbox that will bolt on so i'll do my measurements and cut and weld bellhousings, i've done couple of those, but always used factory flywheel.

Back