Has anyone made a car engine flywheel from scratch

When I used to race 1/4 mile they had. Clutch cages in case the clutch exploded.. I'm sure they have it for automatics too don't they? Be safe.

When I used to race 1/4 mile they had. Clutch cages in case the clutch exploded.. I'm sure they have it for automatics too don't they? Be safe.
We called them scatter shields--a flywheel coming apart even at low rpm will cause a lot of damage.
Had one come apart at 8500 rpm on small block chevy--was really glad I had the scatter shield.

Yes, scatter shields... I couldn't remember the name.... been quite a few years. :grin:

No one around here has or sells scattershields, i could order one but import tax and other duttys will be very high, just makes more sense to make it right. it will be used on the street, as here we don't have racetrack so others will be in danger also.

You may need to check specs on flywheel .some engines have out of balance flywheels to balance the rotating mass.if you put a early model small block ford flywheel on a late model it will not be balanced.and visa versa..could be your engine is a neutral balance.maybe not.if you make a flywheel you made need to have it balanced to your rotating mass.crank.rods.pistons.rings.damper.

As said above, balance is critical. Some engines are internally balanced, others externally with the addition of a small weight to the flywheel or metal removal from same. This can change even in the same engine family. Was the engine in question available with a standard transmission? You could always use it direct drive to power your new drill press :). Mike

It's a fairly new V6 engine and was avelable with manual transmissions but all for front wheel drive, and i want to go RWD and the manual transmission has different ECU wiring and sensor ring for the crank sensor. Its is internally balanced no need for off balance flywheel, and i've looked for a flywheel from a manual for close to 2 years now without any success.

As said above, balance is critical. Some engines are internally balanced, others externally with the addition of a small weight to the flywheel or metal removal from same. This can change even in the same engine family. Was the engine in question available with a standard transmission? You could always use it direct drive to power your new drill press :). Mike

Sure Mike, but i thought it will fit better on my shop build chop saw it probably weighs less than this 10 hp cast iron electric motor;)
DSC_0177.JPG

Well, the scatter shield can save your life. Dont know why you cant get one around there but the reason they made them is for the reason you stated , if it exploded you or others around could die.. lots of people have. I dont want this to be a lecture but wanted to impress upon you the importance of it and especially if your making one yourself, I know I wouldnt take a chance. The extra money, to get one shipped to you,f or a piece of mind and possibly your life would be worth it in my opinion. Good Luck with your project, Have fun. Warren

Warren, you've not been in central europe, balkans here 90% of cars are 4 cylinder under 2 litre engine more than half are diesels there is no performance shops, i've had to go across the border to neighboring countries to buy parts at 10x mark up prices, just because the import taxes are so high, about a year ago i did an rear wheel drive conversion on a 405 Mi16x4 and had to redo the entire fuel system so i vent shop to shop looking for AN braded line and fitings, and could not found so i order directly from Aeromotive in the us, fittings and an fuel Regulator all in was 420 euros, the import taxes comes up to 1200 euros, so i'm not biting that bullet again.

Back