Has anyone made his own wacker (compaction) plate?

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I've been needing a compaction plate for my yard for years now and dealing with the shaky generator has given me an idea, how hard could it be to make my own wacker plate,so i wanted to ask if anyone has made one or run one, things like what rpm to run and what size of weights to use?
single_dir.jpg

After all the projects we have seen you do, making a plate compactor would be easy!
Good luck.
pete

Probably the most difficult part is making it so the engine does not get shaken to pieces or not get fuel. I suppose that, ideally, the engine should stay completely stationary while the shoe does the compacting work. I would look at a commercially made one to see how they handle the issues.

Last edited:
I have an 'Elephants Foot' but if you have an engine mount the engine on a plate and attach a handle. Mount engine and mount on a plate using long isolating rubber mounts or even straps with a decent sized spring to support the load. On bottom plate mount an eccentric shaft or a shaft with unbalanced weights driven by belt. The vibrations in the unbalanced shaft transfer directly to the bottom plate, the bearings last for ages as they are not resisting any major loads and the engine runs as per normal as it is isolated from the vibrations. Bottom shaft should run around the 500 rpm mark.

Back