Has Anyone Replaced the Star Clutch Style to the Toggle Cam?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I like the idea of the quick Toggle Cam release vs. the star type clutch engagement/disengagement knob.
I have a 1941 13" single lever gear box with the cast iron spindle bearings.
If you have replaced your star with the toggle, please PM me and share your experience, sources etc.
Thanks,
Jeff

Funny you should bring this up, I converted mine several years ago and mentioned it in this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/9a-project-completed.72707/

If you can find the parts, they are a direct replacement for the star knob, but I'll bet they are hard to find unless someone is parting out a lathe.
I made mine from scratch because I didn't know any better at the time. It is doable and very simple.

I’ve never used a lever type , my SB 10L has the star type that works good for me.

Once you use the lever style you'll never go back....

I can see a big advantage to just flipping a lever vs. a slower clutch release. Although I do need to change the oil in my reservoir. I see it is suppose to be "B" oil, I put "C" in it when I went through the saddle for cleaning and re-felts..
That would probably make the clutch release time a bit quicker.

I just bought a used toggle lever kit off eBay and have a delivery date for next Tuesday. I've considered it before, but since I now have my apron apart I figured the time was right to pull the trigger when I saw the listing. I'll PM you when I get it.

This thread was started as a genuine interest in options to replace the 1941 technology.
That lathe is no longer in service due to the California wildfires.

I just bought a used toggle lever kit off eBay and have a delivery date for next Tuesday. I've considered it before, but since I now have my apron apart I figured the time was right to pull the trigger when I saw the listing. I'll PM you when I get it.

If things work out, I should be getting the lever type system for my SBL13. I am interested in hearing from you how the swap went.

Back