Has Anyone Replaced the Star Clutch Style to the Toggle Cam?

TX size Thank You and shoutout, bpctcb, Barry, a gentleman from Oklahoma removed this lever type clutch from his SBL13 that took a bad fall and sent it to TX. It is now residing happily and being used in my SBL13.

The conversion was pretty straight forward, following the South Bend instructions, with the help from a shooting buddy, got it done.

Somehow, the system will not let me attach a pdf file from my phone, had to take screenshots of the SBL instructions.

I like your large dials.
Is that a CXA Aloris?
Or did Aloris change their red label? I have a new CXA tool holder, it has that same label.
Unfortunately, I started this thread back before the fire. No need for the new clutch .289129
I have a Clausing now.

I like your large dials.
Is that a CXA Aloris?
Or did Aloris change their red label? I have a new CXA tool holder, it has that same label.
Unfortunately, I started this thread back before the fire. No need for the new clutch .View attachment 289129
I have a Clausing now.

The tool post is an Aloris BXA. They did change the label, now it looks like a laser engraved logo

I like your large dials.
Is that a CXA Aloris?
Unfortunately, I started this thread back before the fire. No need for the new clutch .View attachment 289129
I have a Clausing now.
That is one bad way to strip the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have no experience with a clutch for the saddle. Due to other life issues, I have not gotten my SB up and running yet. So never have operated a lathe with a clutch, the idea sounds nice. I may be thinking backwards here, but if I'm going to have a clutch, the idea of the quick adjustments just seems to add more versatility to the lathe. My backwards thinking, is the lever just gives you on, and off, A function that is already built into the saddle. Yes, you can adjust it, but not that easily. While the star clutch gives you a quick adjustment from slight slip, to fully tight.

Hopefully I can get my SB operational this summer, and experience what all the fuss is about.

If it was not for the way it happened, and that it is rust, the color is interesting. A medium metallic gold could look cool.All the bare metal polished, and maybe a sand color for the chip pan.

But then I remember how it got that way, and the other pics I saw from your area, and it brings back memories of my vacations to the middle east.

I much prefer the star wheel to the lever. With the star wheel, I can "slip the clutch", if needed, like for sneaking up on a shoulder. My lathe with a lever actually hits the hand wheel on the apron when engaged and AFAIK, everything in the assembly is stock.

My lathe with a lever actually hits the hand wheel on the apron when engaged and AFAIK, everything in the assembly is stock.

The lever can be repositioned.

Back