Has anyone seen one of these?

TakeDeadAim

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this at a sale, unlike most Starrett tools it has not model number. I have looked around a bit and not found one. However I don’t have access to a lot of old tool catalogs.

If anyone has seen a rule like this please let me know what you know about them and what Starrett called them.

Thanks
57bd1c24781e46bc661407221bf8c64b.jpg
c45a98bfdc425d30928bfd8dbf884a63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!
I'm not 100 percent sure, but seem to recall something about laying out work on cylindrical parts. Like key ways on shafts?
I'll see if I have it in an old catalogue somewhere.

-frank

Edit: or maybe not, might be getting that mixed up with something else.

Thanks gentlemen, I figured someone on this forum would have seen one at some point in our collective years of experience. I "had" to have it when I saw it despite not knowing exactly what I'll use it for and for the price just having it was worth it.

I bought this at a sale, unlike most Starrett tools it has not model number. I have looked around a bit and not found one. However I don’t have access to a lot of old tool catalogs.

If anyone has seen a rule like this please let me know what you know about them and what Starrett called them.

Thanks
57bd1c24781e46bc661407221bf8c64b.jpg
c45a98bfdc425d30928bfd8dbf884a63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a box square aka key seat rule used to lay out keyways on cylindrical shafts. Starrett and Brown and Sharpe both made them c.a. late 19th century. I couldn't find catalog nos. for either of them.
They have been superseded by key seat clamps, Starrett no. 298, Brown & Sharpe no. 377.

Thanks much RJ, funny when I looked at it I thought it would be great for laying out lengths on shafts, guess I was not too far off.

Send a pic to Starrett. They will get you the info on it.

Back