Has anyone tried the modification to a parting off tool shown in WINKY'S youtube video

TQA222

Registered
Registered
I am buying a 7 x 12 HF mini lathe and have become aware that parting off can be a problem. There is a youtube video which shows a simple method of stiffening the tool in the toolpost.

Winky video clip

Has anyone tried this on a mini lathe and did it work?

He used a British cut off tool called an ARC QA 060-325-20802 [ see second clip when he goes down to a 2 mm wide tip. ] Does anyone in the USA stock this tool.

Hi Guys,

The major problem that is shown in that video is that the parting tool is above center !
Also the whole top slide is moving not just the tool holder. By adding the support post he is simply stiffening the tool. He would gain the same benefit from simply tightening the gibs.

I also noticed that he didn't use lubricant until the last cut he made when using the stiffening post under the tool. I also noticed that his top slide doesn't have any provision for mounting a rear toolpost that could be used to support a parting tool. I have and prefer to part from the back. I also use a 1/16" thick USA made parting blade.
09072015-06.JPG

This is my rear tool post and parting off blade.
25062015-012.JPG

This is the etched data on the side of the blade.

Same here Baron. I don't have T-slots but I made it work.
I wonder how wide those insert blades are.

Hi Dickey,

Usually 2 to 4 mm wide in increments. But I think that they are way too expensive from a hobbyist point of view. They may be cheaper on your side of the pond. Also the holders don't like any side load ! They bend and the insert comes out.

I've never used one. My US made T-type blades work great.

Inserted carbide parting tools work really well if you have the speed and rigidity to use them. Cost is not too bad because the inserts last a long time. I have an Aloris parting tool that works without issues but the insert is 1/8" thick and I don't use it much. HSS works much better for me in just about every case.

For a little 7X mini-lathe, inserted parting tools may not be the best option because they lack the power, speed and rigidity to use them well. A good HSS tool will work better.

Hi Dickey,

I've seen those, but never had one to play with. What are they like, what do you think of them.

Thanks for that info Dickey, I'll look into those.

THanks for the video link! His solution is very smart - makes a small lathe do its best job! I usually use HSS cutoff tools in my 12X37, but this video may open up cutoff insert tooling for me!

The design is very good, so I can't see why I shouldn't try it!

Back