Has anyone tried the new Absolute DRO Scales?

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
Has anyone tried the new Absolute DRO scales? They are the updated Accuremote scales with a new style readout and can "remember" a zero point even when turned off.

I have never used a DRO before and don't even know if this feature is necessary or useful. I do often have a lot of delays in finishing a part, so having the DRO remember the zero point when I resume working might be nice.

I eventually want to build Yuri's Android DRO but that may not happen soon. Yuri has not has an opportunity to test these new Absolute scales with his system. So I don't know if it will work at all or if the new features will function.

Are the standard Igaging scales accurate enough? I am not very experienced with milling and I don't make close tolerance parts. Also this is an old Jet 16 import Mill/Drill that has a little slop.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the new Absolute DRO scales? They are the updated Accuremote scales with a new style readout and can "remember" a zero point even when turned off.

I've used several of this type of scale on a couple of my tools. The iGaging, Accuremote and Absolute are all of a family. They do have nice features, including remembering the zero. iGaging scales are less expensive and use aluminum scale rods. Accuremote and Absolute scales use hardened stainless steel rods. I just looked at the Absolute scales' website http://www.igaging.com/page44.html

Looks like their main "value added feature" is an improved display unit, and what looks like a nice mount for the readouts.

Most recently, I've connected three iGaging scales to a Wildhorse/Shumatech DRO350. The 350 has lots of nice features, including much easier presets, and a nice large LED numeric display.
http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

Never had problem with the scales, though connecting to the 350 required three "Dongles" from MEDW. http://medw.co.uk/wiki/view/21bit+Dongle

I have never used a DRO before and don't even know if this feature is necessary or useful. I do often have a lot of delays in finishing a part, so having the DRO remember the zero point when I resume working might be nice.

You'll soon find that a DRO is absolutely wonderful, and will wonder how you ever did without it! And among the advantages, as you noted, remembering the zero a huge help.

I eventually want to build Yuri's Android DRO but that may not happen soon. Yuri has not has an opportunity to test these new Absolute scales with his system. So I don't know if it will work at all or if the new features will function.

I went with the DRO350, among other things, because I don't have a spare Android kicking around. The 350 is a kit, so you have to decide you can spend a couple days soldering. But the price is great (even when you add the cost of the dongles), and the functions, display, etc. are fantastic. The Wildhorse site says that they've not tested the 350 with MEDW's dongles, but I just got done with the build, and all works well. About the only things not very well documented are the need for a slight connector modification to accommodate MEDW's connectors, changing the scale voltage supply to 3.3 volts, and the need to change the count-per-inch setting. All are very easy. I do plan to write all this up within a few weeks, and will post it here, as well as sending it to both Wildhorse and MEDW.

Are the standard Igaging scales accurate enough? I am very experienced with milling and I don't make close tolerance parts. Also this is an old Jet 16 import Mill/Drill that has a little slop.

If you can live with .001" resolution and ~.004" end-to-end accuracy (~.001 error at either end, and maybe .002" scale length error over long distances), you'll be OK. Given my machine tools and skill level, this is adequate for me. Sounds like it will be OK for you, too. And of course, if the "slop" in your mill is due to backlash in the cranks, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how well a DRO bypasses that problem!

John,

Thanks for your response. I hadn't considered the Wildhorse products. Will the simple Igaging scales remember zero or is that a function on the head unit?

One of the interesting functions of the Android DRO is setting up bolt patterns ad other functions like that. Does a DRO like the Wildhorse 350 have functions like that?

Is there a preset or adjustment for tool size?

Can you use absolute and incremental modes?

I am also looking for a good article on how to use a DRO.

Thanks,

John

I got the cheapest igauging scales available from David here in this site. I couldn't be happier! Mine have the 'remember zero' function as well. And the battery life is great. I forget and leave them on for days. I was aware of the accuracy before buying, but was tired of counting the hand wheel revolutions. If you need absolute accuracy and repeatability, set up a dial indicator near your work 'zero' and use the DRO for travel and the DTI for return to absolute zero.

Like was said above; you'll wonder how you got along without them.

Just installed this seems good so far it's the newer accuremote with the ss scales

20140719_023059.jpg

Thanks for your response. I hadn't considered the Wildhorse products. Will the simple Igaging scales remember zero or is that a function on the head unit?

I know the basic scale will remember zero. I think the DRO350 can be set into some kind of partial power-down, and will remember zero, etc. I tried totally unplugging mine, and it lost zero.

One of the interesting functions of the Android DRO is setting up bolt patterns ad other functions like that. Does a DRO like the Wildhorse 350 have functions like that?

Is there a preset or adjustment for tool size?

Can you use absolute and incremental modes?

I am also looking for a good article on how to use a DRO.

Thanks,

John

I've not gotten into the full capability of the DRO350, but do know it can be used for bolt circles, etc. The "official" user's guide can be found at: http://www.shumatech.com/products/dro-350/docs/guide.pdf

Rick Sparber, a member of this and many other forums, has written an "unofficial" but very useful companion to the Shumatech guide: http://rick.sparber.org/ua350ug.pdf

Further info on several topics related to the DRO350 and DRO550 and accessories can be found at: http://rick.sparber.org/sh.htm

I built a TouchDRO with a $100 no-name Android tablet from Bestbuy and I think it really can't be beat. I'm doing a 2nd one for my lathe. That one will be very sweet because the only wire that will be dragged around by the apron will be 5V power for the Launchpad board. Everything else will go via Bluetooth.

I purchased a set of three of the Absolute DROs to fit my Clausing 8520 mill, but have not yet had the opportunity to get them mounted. I did test each one, and they seem to be fine units, more than adequate for the work that I do. I am planning to do a write up on the installation of them, but that will most likely be a winter project.

I purchased a set of three of the Absolute DROs to fit my Clausing 8520 mill, but have not yet had the opportunity to get them mounted. I did test each one, and they seem to be fine units, more than adequate for the work that I do. I am planning to do a write up on the installation of them, but that will most likely be a winter project.
i dont have any experience with the absolute dros but i have iguages on the xy&z axis on my milldrill. i purchased them thru grizzly at a very reasonable price. they have the remote display witch i like a lot. i have had them for a couple of years with no problems. the accuracy is very good.when i first installed them i would double check my readings with the machine dials, but i sooned learned to trust the dro . once you go dro you wont go back to dials.

I know what you mean, Larry. DRO's are fantastic tools to be sure. I used to use a BP that had a Sony Millman installed on it, only on the X and Y axes though. I got so used to having the DRO that it was tough going back to the "old way" when I got my mill here at home. I am definitely looking forward to getting my DRO's installed on the 8520.

Back