Hatachi WJ220-22SF VFD for lathe connection help.

jbobb1

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've come to the time when I need to install my VFD on my Jet lathe. The existing contactor is toast, and I'm a little lost as to where to start. I've purchased a few items including a 5K pot, jog stick, E-stop button, ferrules and led light. What I don't quite understand is the correct position of the short bar/jumper. It's in the PLC/P24 , but I'm seeing it being moved to the PLC/L position. Also, I want to continue to use the frw/rev handle on my carriage if possible. If I could get some basic info that I can build on, it be much appreciated.
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when talking electrical, so please bear with me when asking questions that probably have an obvious answer.

Jim

Might it be possible to get some pictures of the unit and it's tag?
I'm not having any luck finding a manual.

You have several options.
1. Replace the current contactors with new ones or relays of the same voltage, remove the high voltage motor connections to them and connect one pole of the relay/contactor to the corresponding VFD For/Rev. input, this is similar to the basic 1340GT VFD install posted. DO not attempt to use used contactors (or any contact that has been used for high voltage switching) to operate the VFD inputs, due to arching they have high contact resistance and will give unpredictable transmission of the low voltage VFD signals.

2. Some people directly wire the VFD inputs (For/Rev) to the spindle switch and add an additional input which prevents the VFD from starting on power up if in a run command, but if you hit the E-Stop and then release it the machine will restart. Dangerous in my opinion to directly wire the VFD inputs to the spindle switch in any form.

3. There is an old single relay design that used the VFD's internal 24VDC power source to run the relay. It had limited flexibility and the total power consumption needs to be less than 100 mA. A 24VDC relay is around 70 mA, a LED lamp is around 11 mA. Below are some very old designs that have been used, but use at your own risk. These are starter points that would need to be adapted to your specific machine, some of the programming is different depending on the application.

4. There are full system designs, but much more complicated.

Your question as to input jumper position on the WJ200, the PLC/L is what as none as sink inputs and the L/P24 is known as source inputs and has to do with the polarity direction of the inputs in relation to the power supply. Systems that use the WJ200 internal VFD power supply to power a relay, LED, etc. OR you are using diodes which prevent back feeding such as below OR the PLC setting is source, require you to use the source configuration. Almost all VFDs by default are factory set for the sink configuration most have the ability to change this to a source configuration.

Sink - Source.jpg
PM1340GT lathe VFD Schematic   single relay.jpg

Attachments

• PM1340GT VFD Control Basic Single Relay for Hitachi WJ20 0 Program Parameter File with Menu re...pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
Thank you mksj for the info. I had wondered about making a connection like you described in option 2, and I can see the obvious danger. I ordered the above relay and socket. My other dilemma my be the for and rev switches my be an issue also. I need to remove them and check.

Option 2.
Just connect the E-stop to the main contactor..
E-stop power down VFD. problem solved.

Option 2.
Just connect the E-stop to the main contactor..
E-stop power down VFD. problem solved.

I'm pretty sure that's not a good idea. The VFD shouldn't be shut down in that manner.

Have done it on 3 VFDs now for over 2 years.. no problem.. you dont use the E-stop every day..you want to cut power to vfd when not in use anyway..
Only drawback is that the brake dont work..

Back