Haunyang VFD DOA?

MBuechle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, have a new 1.5Kw VFD that when setup and configured will not run the motor. I get a bump and then a code OC -u, which is acceleration over current or component failure. I suspect the later. I've checked the motor, 2.2 ohm phase to phase, no leakage to ground. It's a used century 2 hp. 1750 wired for 220, yes I verified that. Set acceleration parameter to as high as 90 sec., still no joy. Watched current with a fluke 87 and an amp clamp, peak current capture was only .75 amp during the start attempt. If anyone has run into this and found some parameter that fixes this I'd greatly appreciate enlightenment.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember it took me awhile to find the magic setting. I went back through, and set any setting that has to do with frequency, to 60. Then it worked fine.

I would do a factory reset. You might check it on another motor, I had one installation were the motor wingdings checked out with an ohm meter, but the motor was DOA in a new machine. I have not had good luck with HY VFDs, they can work ok, but have had too many problems with them and lack of tech support/warranty makes them not worth the savings in most cases. There are also some cheaper knock offs. YMMV

You have to look at all the settings to make sure there are not ones that are conflicting with others. Many parameters can be left alone as factory preset, but only after you determine that the default will work for your application.

You do a factory reset to correct any potential errors or conflicts. The OC fault when I encountered this in the past was a bad motor, but if it was running ok previously, then it suggests a faulty VFD. I have seen both occur, more commonly it was the HY VFD (but it could be either). If the acceleration is too rapid this could cause a fault, but your current reading and a slow ramp to speed would indicate otherwise. The VFD default values will depend by the the model and type (I have see different base frequencies, but usually they are 50Hz Asia and 60Hz US and there is a default setting for country), so you need to verify/program the basic motor operating parameters. Since I do not know the motor or the application, no specifics can be provided. You might review this old thread, as well as few other on the HY VFDs.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/huanyang-vfd-on-a-bridgeport-clone.36144/
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/2-2kw-vfd-3-phase-3hp-motor.41077/

Parameter file I used for a 2 Hp machine:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/huanyang-vfd-program-variables-for-2-hp-motor-pdf.105562/

here are the settings i have on my Huanyang inverter with a 3hp TEFC motor.
maybe you can have better luck with similar settings :)

Pd001=1
002=1
003=60
004=60
005=70 (but you can set to 90HZ , my motor is not inverter rated)
008=240v (my input line voltage is high)
014=.3
026=1 (i like the coasting stop)
041=12 (can be anywhere from 5- 15KHz)

Last edited:
My Huanyang had the phases set to 400 Hz out of the box. That's for a 24,000 rpm motor. Try the settings Mike lists. If it doesn't work please post the VFD model number. Also what is the motors model? Is the motor inverter rated?
Dave

If this unit has only one row of low power connections and no built in pot, it's really an Askpower HY series. If so, set PN32=6 as a first step. This will give you a factory default for a 50hz motor rather than the 400hz spindle.

As a wise man in the Southbend forum once said. they had much bigger horses back then. If this is an old underrated 2HP motor rather than a new highly optimistic 2HP one, I suspect you under-bought. Either way, Askpower or Haunyang, give yourself a little headroom, especially if driving it from single phase. I have a 1HP Cincy mill and a 1.5HP SB lathe, both out of the mid 1950s. I put a 2.2Kw Askpower on each, and couldn't be happier.

Back