Have new HF 7X10 lathe

You can put a bigger chuck on it but you are going to have to deal with a lot more "power problems" swinging a whole lot more metal. Turning a piece of 3"stock doesn't leave that much room for cutting tools and cross slide travel either. The only real benefits for the bed extension are a few more inches between centers and more importantly, room for drill bits in the tail stock. That was just too cramped with the original 10" bed (or 8" depending on how measured.)

Welcome to the shop cobraJack

I have a Busy Bee 7 x 10 B1979c

After alot of adjustments, and some mods she all set up
I have made a few small items.. fun stuff
I use mine to make parts for my other hobby
Threading is my biggest fear not ready to try that yet.

I just snagged a set of change gears off ebay for $20.

I have MicroMarks longer version of your lathe, but basically it's the same machine, I think (I may have larger motor?)

Anyway, I wanted a bit more precision with my machine so I replaced the spindle's ball bearings with tapered rollers and put a Bison 4" chuck on it. The bearings are pretty cheap and a good upgrade if you ever intend to put a larger/heavier chuck on there. The Bison may be overkill for you, as they can be a bit pricey. Very accurate though.

The Micromark is 16" bed and 500W brushless motor. The LMS version is a bit shorter and also has the same motor.

I have MicroMarks longer version of your lathe, but basically it's the same machine, I think (I may have larger motor?)

Anyway, I wanted a bit more precision with my machine so I replaced the spindle's ball bearings with tapered rollers and put a Bison 4" chuck on it. The bearings are pretty cheap and a good upgrade if you ever intend to put a larger/heavier chuck on there. The Bison may be overkill for you, as they can be a bit pricey. Very accurate though.

Wanted the LMS lathe, but needed the extra length for some of my projects. Chris at LMS says the machines are identical except for the bed length.

Thanks for the motor info., I wasn't sure what is on the HF.

Hi Jack
Just found your thread welcome to the small end of the shop.

I have a few articles that may interest you Just search for 7x12 or 7x? to find them .

I think the most important thing is to sort out the gibs so look for, top adjustable gibs. or you can visit my site on briansworkshop.weebly,com

its new and under construction but some downloads are in place.

But if its just power you are looking for, Try this.

P1011749.JPG

Well not just yet.

If I can be any help just call.

Brian.

P1011749.JPG

Brian your site link isnt working.. please re post

Brian your site link isnt working.. please re post

Thanks for letting me know.
I will try again
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com

Let's hope it works this time.
Its my 73 birthday next week so I am not quick with learning new tricks.

The site will eventualy have all the mods I have done on my 7x12 so visit from time to time. Let me know what you think, I like feed back, then I can improve the site.
If you see something in a photo of mine that is interesting don't be afraid to ask.

Brian.

Thank you Brian for your tutorials, gonna make some of them :)

I am sure you will enjoy your HF 7 X 10 mini lathe. I have had mine for nearly a year now and I love to just play with it, with scrap material just to learn more about what it can do. You Tube is a great. Source of instruction, for the beginner or the intermediate operator. I am sure that some of those posts are worth a fortune, if you had to pay for the education you can get for free just by watching some of those old timers perform miracles with a piece of brass or aluminum.
I had wanted a small or mini lathe for ever but my carrer, kept me from having time or opertunity to peruse any hobby. I was introduced to the world of the machinist in high school many years ago, and the training, learning precision measuring, and reading calipers and a micromater, I received from a shop teacher named Paul Piazonni, (we called him PZ) lasted my whole working life and made it possible to advance in my trade and become a maintenance supervisor, and eventually a shift superintendent, for the whole plant. All the years I worked there I had access to an old mill and lathe, and pretty much owned them because I was the only one in the department that had any idea of how to use them. After I retired I missed the machines so much that I decided to buy some for a home shop. With a couple of 20, and 25% off coupons I have a nice hobby shop now and I am thoroughly enjoying hobby machining miniature steam engines. The 7 X 10 is perfect for my needs and so I don't see myself buying a bigger machine any time soon. The HF mini is 90 pounds of dynamite, and loads of fun without breaking the bank.

Back