Have y'all seen this conversion on SBL10?

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The lathe has been modified with this sort of a cross slide, but there is no crank to ran it, instead there is lever to drive it.

I think the heavy chunk of slotted cross slide is a nice solution to rigidity issues, but it seems to modified to do specific job. Threading might not be one of them.

Have y'all seen anything like this?

Resized952019050895150128.jpgResized952019050895150049.jpg

Converts an engine lathe to a hand screw machine = production work; also would have a tail end turret slide = a slave driving machine.

It's a production cross slide. SB sold them and if used in conjunction with the turret tailstock you have a hand screw machine.

That is the kind of machine I started on in the 1950’s but it was a Logan 11 inch lathe with a production cross slide. I still use one all the time. There are two types of production cross slides one uses a handle and one uses the dial. I started with the dial type with a 4 way tool post and another tool on the back side of the lathe.

Have never use one but have seen them, one side does one procedure and the other does another, One is normally cut off if not mistaken.
Where did you find that one, I can tell by the pics it is not in your shop.

Not mine, in Houston CL.

So, no threading with the production cross slide?

Last edited:
When I had to thread I used the production cross slide. With production runs of parts most times we had the parts thread rolled or done on a lathe made just for threading. Anyone remember threading lathes called Cri-Dans.
I just googled Cri-dan automatic threading lathes and watched a one min video of lathe in action.

Last edited:
Back