• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

Have you all used one these

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I need to clean up some ridges in the TS taper, looking to buy one of these Chinese offerings. They are inexpensive, but wondering about the corn cob cutting design.

I have to buy the expensive ones just for one time use.

Screenshot_20180409-084806.png

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
That is a roughing reamer. You will need a finishing reamer also I believe. As fare as buying cheap. I'm sure someone with some real life experince will chime in.

By the way I am in the same boat with my No. 3 Morse taper tail stock.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Me too. Mine could use a good decent reconditioning.

dbq49

Registered
Registered
I bought a MT#2 finish reamer from Grizzly for $40.00 as I remember. I bought the set of MT#3 and will be delivered on this Friday. I only needed the finish reamer to clean up the head stock on my Atlas 10F. I feel you need to rough cut the taper and then use to rough cut reamer to get closer and then the finish reamer to finish. Just MHO.
DBQ49er

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
I am following this closely. I have at least 3 female morse tapers that have been treated roughly. So far, I have been afraid to address the issue, for fear of making the problem worse. I look forward to your experience with this. I assume you have measured existing runout, and that has led you to this solution?

extropic

Active User
Former Member
I don't have any experience with the import $15 reamer but 4 points.
1) The grooves in the reamer are spiral, not circular, so one complete turn cuts every element of the taper.
2) When you "ream" to clean up an existing taper, only remove the high spots. Don't worry about 100% cleanup of remnants of low defects.
3) Turn the reamer by hand using a wrench or socket. Use light pressure on the reamer and your socket should clean right up.
4) Now that the socket is cleaned up, you need to check every male tool before you use it again and stone off all high spots.

Nothing to be afraid of here.

Last edited:

jpfabricator

Active User
I rebuilt the spindle on a 1932 Francis Reed drill press with an "import".
Someone had used a large bolt, and hand ground it to a MT 2 taper. It destroyed the spindle, with no chance of repairing it, so I stepped up to a MT3. I used the "corncob" style, with GREAT results. No finish reamer followup. It locks up solid!

Jake Parker

Charles Spencer

Active User
I used that style MT2 reamer on the tail stock of a South Bend 9 lathe a couple of years back. It did a good job and I haven't had any problems since.

WesPete66

Active User
I see the reamer has a center drill on its end. Would you try to "guide" this reamer in use, like you would do with a tap?

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I bought one (M3) to clean up my tail stock on my South Bend. I remember mr. pete said , "never spin them backwards". I put light pressure and cleaned up the high spots. I have very good lock-up in my 77 year old tail stock quill. If you live near Chico, Oroville, Sacramento, CA. I'll loan it to you.

benmychree

John York
I see the reamer has a center drill on its end. Would you try to "guide" this reamer in use, like you would do with a tap?
The center drilling in the ends of the reamer are used in manufacturing the reamer, likely for turning milling flutes, and finish grinding and grinding the clearance on the reamer. Also I note that nobody posting this says anything about using cutting oil when preforming these cleanup jobs; I'd use Tap Magic for any sort of reaming, or any other machining job where lube is used, for that matter.

[6]
[5] [7]