Having a rough time with tailstock aligment on a PM-1127 lathe

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
There's one small set screw on the right side, one allen screw on the front and one on the back side of the tailstock. The instructions says to loosen the tailstock locking nut, then loosen the small set screw on the right, loosen the set screws on the front and the back, make the adjustment, then lock it in place with the small set screw on the right side.

I do this, but when I lock it in place with the small set screw, the tailstock moves and I'm off alignment again. I've tried locking the tailstock locking nut first, but that didn't work either. I've tried locking the 2 allens and same result. The tailstock keeps moving when I try to lock it in alignment. The left side of the tailstock would move or the right side.

Does anyone have this lathe and have the same issues?

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're doing. The digital manual I have is dated 2015. It just shows an adjustment screw on the front. There is another directly opposite as well. They work like adjusting a 4jaw. Loosen one, tighten the other to shift the alignment. Snugging them both locks it, and can shift the alignment like the 4jaw.

might have to take it apart. I keep turning those adjustment screws and they never tighten

Ok, got it figured out. The allen bolt on the front of the tailstock was not screwed in straight, it stripped the threads on the bolt. Thankfully, the part where it screws onto has good threads still. M8x1.25 bolt. Gotta get a replacement at Lowe's tomorrow.

Glad you got it figured out. I'd grab a tap while you're there and chase the threads just to be sure.

Yeah, I chased the threads on the part, but I couldn't salvage the bolt. It was crooked from the start. No wonder the bolt head wasn't centered inside the countersunk hole unlike the other one

At least it's the easy to fix part!

Back