Having my say

Bi11Hudson

Artificer00
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
For 50 odd years, I have kept my peace. Until recently, there has been no instantaneous method to communicate with others of my kind from around the world. Today I stumbled across an article that was written by "one of us" that expresses what many, including myself, have dealt with silently since the very beginning of this country. As a rule, we don't expect or even want "thanks', we just want to be acknowledged as one who did what he was called upon to do. The many authors and celebrations put on are usually by outsiders who have no concept of what they are expressing. I offer an article by someone who does understand:

It is not a day to just have a beer and a ball game. It is a day to acknowledge. . .

Morning Bill,

Thanks for sharing this. I think it speaks to what Veteran's Day is really about. Not being a veteran myself, I find it hard to relate, but it doesn't mean I can't try. The simple fact is that all humans suffer and it only takes a moment to begin to try and understand when talking with a veteran, that their suffering can be unimaginable.

The following excerpt from the article you linked to really brings home the point:

"Vets are haunted by visions of horror and death, by guilt of somehow surviving and living the good life, when some they knew are gone. They strangely wish sometimes that they were back in those dreadful circumstances, not to experience the dirt and horror and terror and noise and violence again, but to be with the only people a vet really knows, other vets."

The "strange wish" part speaks to the longing for a unique type of love, friendship, camaraderie and brotherhood that is forged in battle. It must be difficult to endure the suffering that this strange wish can never be granted, to comfort their brothers but for one more brief final moment.

This makes me think of the following sentiment from G.K. Chesterton:

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”

At 76 years of age I,ve finally begun to realize and appreciate that serving my country for 2 1/2 years during 'Nam has made me a better man. Ain't proud of everything we did over there, but live with the hope that our country and world will sooner, rather than later, just learn that peace is so much a better way of life.

Guys, this stuff leaves me speechless. At 66, I never served. I had been issued a draft card. I was pretty in tuned to what was going on during the Vietnam War. I spent time being worried. I went to college with a lot of vets who were on the “G.I. bill” some physically injured and none the same as they were before. The politics of the day were terrible. I visited the memorial wall but could not take it, it really got to me, I totally broke down. I knew what it was yet I had no understanding of the power it has?
my father and my grandfather were POWs of the Japanese in WW2. Grandpa was forced to work on the Burma railroad. My mom lived in Occupied Holland throughout WW2. I am an American because of these amazing people.

to the vets; welcome home! Thank you for the incredible service and what you have been through! To our politicians: war sucks. Do not become involved for your gain or for any half-assed mitigation attempt. To enter that HELL I feel your personal conviction must be strong enough for you to lead from the front and to send your own children. There are no half measures war is a terrible thing and if it can ever be justified it must be carried out with brutal conviction with everything our country can muster. Still there is no honor for the country or it’s political figures. The men and women who put there existence and lives over that line are who I honor and love.

Sorry mr. Moderator. I really didn’t think that was a statement about politics and I support not allowing that. My point was to the honor and bravery of our men and women sent to the front.

Sorry mr. Moderator. I really didn’t think that was a statement about politics and I support not allowing that. My point was to the honor and bravery of our men and women sent to the front.
Thanks for your understanding of the situation. Carry on!

Thank you for posting that, I did not serve, but it hits home.

Great-Great Grandpa Civil war Union Vet, Father WWII vet paternal Uncle Korea Vet, My brother and I, Viet Nam era Vets, 2 sons, Gulf war Vets. I'm 74.
Yes Thanks for posting this.

Ron

My oldest brother served two tours in Nam. Found out years later, he applied for the second tour in Nam so I could not go. Later about that time, I was sent to Korea. For a couple weeks, I was on an island with North Korea north, South Korea east, and the Yellow sea west of us. My brother went on RR so he could see me. Ironically, he was told no way because where I was. They would not even tell him where. Two months ago, I watch my brother die from the effects caused by agent orange.

Thank you for sharing this. I did not serve but growing up with a father who was in the Korean conflict I have come to understand, just a little bit, how much it affected him.

I'm proud to stand by my brothers and sisters who have been there and proud to call myself a "son"

John Matthews
Son of AmVets Post 114

Back