Having time on your hands is not always a good thing.

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
Well since the cold has set in I have nothing to do but sit and think about projects. Well the first project was the base for the new mill/drill. I have changed the design 3 times so far. And today decided to just buy a tool cabinet and go from there. I found a cabinet strong enough to hold the mill for less than $200. So am trying to find stuff to sell on craigslist to come up with the money.
Next I started looking at my project list. Which was only about 7 items. Well that grew into about 15 items. So today I am prioritizing.

Beginning to think it never ends !

It seems one project leads to finding several more. LIke me, I got a mill that has a base bit now I'm looking at redoing it so I can make some drawers under it to hold stuff as the two shelves are to deep for me to reach the back without causing back to hurt, and is a waste of space for small items. Then got a card file full of stuff, now looking at putting wheels under it. so it can move around.
you are doing good if you have only 15 items on your list.

Quit looking or the list will get longer. :grin:

I used to have a project list on paper but it got too long and too difficult to keep organized. Now I use Google Keep to keep track of things. I can access it from my computer or from my phone which makes it pretty handy.

Ken,
The drawers were what made me think about going the tool cabinet route. I know shelves won't do for the same reason as you stated. And after seeing a few on here from cabinets. I found 2 cabinets at lowe's and home depot for less than $200 that will fit the bill and hold enough weight.

Yea, Thought about that route, but my mill by is self is over 600, then add the 4 inch curt, work and then all the tooling in the drawers and it is more than most of them are rated to handle. and they are a bit higher thus cause problems. So I may make one yet, Then I can also make it with a base where I can move it around as needed. But need to work on the welder first.

That's a good thing actually , keeps YA using your head in ways to stay sane. Ya might try looking on craigslist for cabinets too. HF has a nice black cabinet now , about the same price too.

Well since the cold has set in I have nothing to do but sit and think about projects. Well the first project was the base for the new mill/drill. I have changed the design 3 times so far. And today decided to just buy a tool cabinet and go from there. I found a cabinet strong enough to hold the mill for less than $200. So am trying to find stuff to sell on craigslist to come up with the money.
Next I started looking at my project list. Which was only about 7 items. Well that grew into about 15 items. So today I am prioritizing.

Beginning to think it never ends !

Bill,

Post up your projects if you don't mind. I'm running low on ideas.

Ray C.

I am looking at a Kobalt at Lowe's that holds over 1200lb. And I can always beef it up a bit with an angle iron outer frame.

Ray,
Here's a few:

Stand for Miller
Wiring for Miller & DRO
DRO Installation
Dividing Fixture
Finish Dials for Atlas
Tool Grinder ( might make it to do 4 facet drills also)
Drill Sharpener (see #6 )
4 inch Sine Bar to fit new vice
Angle Plate that mounts in Vise
Collet Blocks Square and Hex
Boring bar setting fixture
Tailstock Cam Lock

I am in the process of upgrading most of the machines in the shop, so in order to have anything done I have to finish the upgrade to the vertical bandsaw, in order to complete the upgrade to the lathe, which will allow me to finish the upgrade to the rotary table for the mill, which will allow me to make the mill operate better and finish up the handles on it, which will make it easier to finish the upgrade/fix on the horizontal bandsaw...

Now that christmas presents and vacation are done, time to get working back in the shop... oh, did I mention the heat lol

Back