Hay wagon

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
[video=youtube;4KwO9bcqUWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KwO9bcqUWs[/video]

Heres a hay wagon I picked up. After I got it home I noticed there was a hoist under it. It was in bad shape so I rebuilt it.

I had to go to YouTube to watch the video. She's a dumping wagon now.

I hope to fix the rest of it up this summer and build a new deck for it

Re: Hay wagon - formerly a grain box?

My grandfather had one very similar except it had a grain box on it. You backed up to the elevator, opened the grain slot and the raised the hoist to get the oats to flow out the back. It saved a lot of shoveling.
Terry S.

Re: Hay wagon - formerly a grain box?

My grandfather had one very similar except it had a grain box on it. You backed up to the elevator, opened the grain slot and the raised the hoist to get the oats to flow out the back. It saved a lot of shoveling.
Terry S.

this one came with wood sides that thankfully someone kept inside. The back panel had a small door in the center to let the grain out.

Sounds like the same box design. As I recall, the sides were about 30" high and were fixed in "stake" pockets such that they were removable. The little door on the back was a sliding design that opened vertically via a lever so you could regulate the flow of grain. The bottom was completely flat - unlike modern designs. I suppose the idea was that you could remove the sides and use it has a hay rack when it was not being used to haul grain.
You have done a fine restoration on the hydraulic lift system.
Terry S.

Sounds like the same box design. As I recall, the sides were about 30" high and were fixed in "stake" pockets such that they were removable. The little door on the back was a sliding design that opened vertically via a lever so you could regulate the flow of grain. The bottom was completely flat - unlike modern designs. I suppose the idea was that you could remove the sides and use it has a hay rack when it was not being used to haul grain.
You have done a fine restoration on the hydraulic lift system.
Terry S.

The sides on this wagon are in 2 sections, probably about 12" wide. So you could add the next layer and have 24" sides. It bolts to the wagon floor with this very ornate hardware. Very fancy wrought iron brackets. The rear gate is missing though so someone made one out of some scrap wood flooring.

To take the slop out of some worn out parts I made a bushing today.

DSCI1249_zpsbb8e4f11.jpg
DSCI1250_zpsff0fecf6.jpg

I figured out I could use the old tires off my grandpas truck. I guess it will be a monster wagon. :thumbsup:

DSCI1274_zps68e82d14.jpg
DSCI1273_zpsc536dd78.jpg

DSCI1274_zps68e82d14.jpg

DSCI1273_zpsc536dd78.jpg

DSCI1274_zps68e82d14.jpg

DSCI1273_zpsc536dd78.jpg

Back