Head band magnifier for lathe work?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
I wear prescription glasses.

I am looking for a decent headband magnifier for use at the lathe, mill, grinder, drill press, and other machines. This means I needs a focal length that keeps my face away from the action.

Experience and recommendations would be appreciated.

I wear prescription glasses.

I am looking for a decent headband magnifier for use at the lathe, mill, grinder, drill press, and other machines. This means I needs a focal length that keeps my face away from the action.

Experience and recommendations would be appreciated.

I have tri focal lens prescription. Brings the work in focus at arms length. When you next visit your optometrist for a prescription, just ask to be measured for it. I have never been charged more. Get a copy of your 'script and go back any time for combinations of new lenses. For example, I have a pair with a huge section of the lens made for the arms length focus and a bit at the very top so I may walk around a bit. Tri focals especially nice for looking at computer monitor or even the dash instruments when driving. Wearing one of those headbands gets to be a bugger after a while and adding the swivel lenses even more so. I also spend a bit of time using a stereo microscope for the fine work. I have in the past used the Mantis camera/video display and made my own camera systems for doing telescope viewing via laptop. Having poor eyesight is terrible when compared to the old days of eyeball only, but there are ways around it.

Thanks Doodle

Yes, I have progressive lenses and they generally correct my vision and work fine. I did have some glasses made for just welding because I didn't want to get splatter on the expensive ones I wear daily. I also have a microscope like this one for really close work and examination. However the microscope is a tool was not bought for poor vision.

But there are times at the lathe, mill, grinder, et. where magnification would be a huge benefit. So that's why I am a trajectory of getting a headband magnifier.

I've seen a number of machinists wear & talk about Optivisors (the real ones, lots of knock offs avaipable). I personally don't have any experience with them though, never tried one.

I use Optivisors when using my Sherline lathe and mill - the index marks on the handwheels are really tiny but very precise. When I need to dial in 0.0002" on the wheel, I need that Optivisor. These magnifiers use optical glass, not plastic, so I really like them for the clarity. I also have the LED lights they sell that snap onto the Optivosor - looks like landing lights but they really light things up so you can see. I get mine from Amazon - seems to have the best pricing/shipping.

Did some quick research:
Here's the Donegan Optical website. Made in Kansas since 1952! They have two models of Optivisor magnifiers:

1. Optivisor - with DA lense (glass) and the 1.5X lenses gets you a focal length of 20"
2. Optivisor AL - (AL = acrylic lenses) - LX lense with the 1.75x and a focal length of 14". It is interesting to note that the LX lense for a 1.5X is not available and therefore a shorter focal length. BTW, the Optivisor AL can be bought in a set with 4 lenses.

If I go this route I would buy the glass lensed visor since the longer focal length is what I want. I am assuming the clarity of the glass is better and they are certainly going to be more scratch resistant than plastic. Downside is that the glass lenses are quite expensive and likely heavier than the plastic. Glass lense replacements do not appear to be available on Amazon, just plastic.

One can also add their loupe for a few buck mores.

The focal length on the Optivisor is too short, in my experience. That's generally true of other magnifiers as well. A dentist's/dental tech magnifier (Galilean telescope) may work, but is cumbersome and fairly heavy, and good ones are very expensive. Best answer I've seen (and have not yet tried) is a small camera feeding an 8" screen or so. Requires a bit of electronics to implement.

I wear a standard Optivisor at the mini mill and lathe all the time... my progressives aren't bad, but I really need some help looking at tiny set ups and such. I does get close, I does...

BTW, what are THESE called?

And should I want them?

googles.JPG

googles.JPG

Last edited:
Back