Head band magnifier for lathe work?

Alan

I have two optivisors for about ten years. I think one may be a 1.5 and the other is 2X. I have the extra magnification loupe on one of them. However, I can't say that I have tried using them while running the lathe. My depth perception seems to get a little off while using them or reading glasses for that matter so I am a bit afraid to use them around rotating equipment. What I have been using though is some safety glasses that I got from McMaster Carr that have a magnifier at the bottom of the lens. That way I can look through the normal portion of the lens while the lathe is running then I can use the magnifier for up close inspection without switching to the optivisor. While it's not as good as the optivisor for fine work, it's a decent compromise for me. I will try to see what focal length the visors have if I get some time this evening.

Upon rereading your post I now see that the reason you are looking for a head band is to go over your prescription glasses. I do have some progressive prescriptions that I rarely wear as I have a very minor stigmatism and they don't seem to help me as much as dedicated magnifiers do. But I do now see your predicament if you have to wear them all the time. I suspect you were just wanting to pull the visor down over your glasses for close inspection and leave it up while the equipment is in motion. I will try my glasses under the visor and see how that works and report back.

I use Optivisor over my progressive glasses all the time, it's fine... often not even aware of flipping between Optivisor and just glasses... I'll use them to spot tiny boring bar for a cut, then back off and go by glasses alone.

My only gripe- the Optivisor headband's ratchet adjustment... it slips and it's never quite right...

Thanks for all the feedback on this thread.

With all the input here, I acquired an Optivisor. I bought the model DA2 with optical glass lenses and their optional loop LP-1. This model has 1.5x magnification and a focal length of 20". Bought it on Amazon.

It works extremely well for me and the loop is a big plus when needed. This is an excellent tool in the shop when needed. Here the obligatory photo!
optivisor.jpg

Back