Headed to Precision Machine's (Matt's) Warehouse in the morning

wvnitroman

Registered
Registered
Headed to Matt's in the morning to look at some machines, I think I've narrowed it down the these:

Mills:
PM835S and the PM935 TV or S. My biggest struggle with these is the $2,000 price gap.
Some of the Bench Top model specs look pretty nice but I've never used a bench top in my life. What are the big differences in the knee mill and the bench top as far as usefulness goes?

Lathes:
PM1440GS and the PM 1440BV
Any thoughts or pointers is appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless,
Kevin

Bench top vs Bridgeport type? Just scale down your expectations. don't expect to use a 4" face mill or a 3/4 end mill. I generally use a 5/16 four flute TiN coated HSS end mill. I got a bargain on half a dozen of them a couple of years ago, that'st all I use for 'heavy' work.

Bench top vs Bridgeport type? Just scale down your expectations. don't expect to use a 4" face mill or a 3/4 end mill. I generally use a 5/16 four flute TiN coated HSS end mill. I got a bargain on half a dozen of them a couple of years ago, that'st all I use for 'heavy' work.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely pass on the bench top then!!!

That seals the deal for me, a knee mill it will be.

You will also get a lot more rigid machine with larger table and more vertical between bottom of spindle and table with table in lowest position --

I USE BRIDGEPORTs AT WORK BUT JUST DON'T HAVE THE SPACE FOR ONE AT HOME .

I BOUGHT A PRECISION MATTHEWS PM-833T TABLE MILL AND MOUNTED IT ON A 33" VIDMAR CABINET .
SO FAR IT HAS BEEN A GOOD MILL AND IS FAR STOUTER THAN SOME PREVIOUS POSTINGS WOULD IMPLY .

THE CABINET STORES THE TOOLING FOR THE MACHINE SO THE WHOLE SETUP HAS A RELATIVELY SMALL FOOTPRINT .
THE MILL HAS NO TROUBLE WITH ENDMILLS AS LARGE AS AN INCH . I USE THEM UP TO 2" BUT ONLY WITH LIGHT CUTS .
IT CAN PUSH AN INCH DRILL AND EVEN LARGE HOLE SAWS IN THE LOWER GEARS .

WILL IT KEEP TIME WITH A KNEE MILL ? IN SOME WAYS YES & IN OTHERS NO .
THE KNEE MILL HAS A RAM THAT CAN BE RUN IN & OUT THE TABLE MILL HAS A MUCH MORE LIMITED WORK ENVELOPE .

THE KNEE MILL ALSO CAN SWIVEL IT's ENTIRE DRIVE MECHANISM AND THE HEAD CAN BE TILTED UP & DOWN .
THE TABLE MILL CAN JUST BE TILTED FROM SIDE TO SIDE .

ANOTHER DIFFERENCE IS YOU CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE IN THE FINISH , THE KNEE MILL BEING BETTER .
I CAN OVERCOME THIS WITH USING THE HIGH SPIRAL END MILLS BUT THEY ARE PRICY BY COMPARISON .

JUST MY 2¢ ON THE TOPIC SINCE I RUN BOTH KINDS EVERY DAY .
I LIKE THEM BOTH AND AM QUITE FOND OF MY TABLE MILL FOR IT's ABILITY TO DO FINE WORK
IN A CONFINED SPACE .

DSC_0687.JPG

Last edited:
Back