Headers for my MG Midget

I have real doubts that JB will hold. Header tubes expand and flex like crazy. I did try welding from the inside with some success but using brazing rod with a Spitfire torch head worked for me. I used a 20# propane tank with a length of hose with the correct ends, from at camping supply store.
Pierre

If the muffler shop will take it on that's probably your best bet.
Brazing should work and it's not too hard, just practice on some scrap first to get the hang of it.

John

Bernzomatic TS4000 High Heat MAP/Pro Torch. I have an earlier version of this head made by Wingaersheek​

https://toolingaround.ca/sb.php article about the head I have. Out of production of course!
Pierre

Last edited:
Do you have a old tip for you mig welder? I would grind two sides of it so you can get closer get in there and weld them together, i've done it i'm sure you can also. My mig is only 160 A so i max it out and turn up my gas flow, its always worked.

I have extra tips but I am not using a mig welder. I have a HF flux core welder that has been modified to be DCEN. Getting in close doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't know why the welds are not plugging the leaks.

Pierre thanks for the info on your torch. I was going to ask you what you had. You beat me to it. I use propane to heat my house and heat water. Have a 350 gallon tank. I ran a line to run the BBQ and could use that flexible hose. Looks like I am going to try to learn how to braze. What type of brazing rod would you recommend?

I use regular bronze brazing rods.
Pierre

I bought a TS4000 torch and it arrived today. Local hardware store did not have the right fittings to hook it up to my house propane tank and no bronze brazing rods either. I will order what I need. Probably take a week to get everything. The nearest welding supply stores are 70 to 100 mile drive.

I would use Mapp gas rather than propane. The cylinder screws right into the torch and is way hotter when used in a Mapp torch. Mine can even melt small amounts silver and nickel silver for casting, and brings even fairly large steel parts up to red heat fast, which my propane torch never could. The Bernzomatic JTH-7 torch I bought was from Lowes and has a flexible hose about 2 ft. long which is great for getting into awkward spots without tipping the cylinder. I have an oxy-acetylene torch and only need it for the much larger parts since I purchased the Mapp setup.

Back