Heads up on Econo-probe

Probably worth asking why they don't have the 440 listed. The Tormach passive probe lists all of their mills as compatible, so no idea why this wouldn't be. Good chance it is just an omission.

Wow! That's pretty cool...they have a TTS version no less. It says its compatible with 770 and 1100 but I'm not seeing the 440, it must be an active probe? If so it's HELLA cheaper than the Tormach Digitizing probe. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be having to find something soon.
It is a passive probe.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Econo-probe. I got mine a year ago according to the attached receipt. I wish mine had a coiled cord like the one from Drewtronics. Might have to adapt an old phone cord one of these days.

Bruce

1598543004656.png

@BGHansen yeah, it’s too bad. They guy is just MIA. He won’t update the sale to paid, he won’t answer my emails, his phone listed everywhere isn’t his & all PayPal’s reaching out has gone unanswered. Just don’t want anyone else to go through these headaches.

Yeah, I would think this is passive. I reached out to them, they asked for some specs on din wiring. I sent him a pic of schematic, looks like only 2 wires of the 5 are used.

So I'm having emails with Andrew @ drewtronics. I checked my DIN assignments and I'm getting 11.1v between #4 and #5. For those of you with the unit, is this your pin out?

Drewtronics in/calibrated. I ordered a backup tip as being brand new to CNC automation and electronic probes, I knew my chances were AT LEAST 50% I would break one....wouldn't have guessed within 5 minutes. Anyway, learned quickly of my poor choices. I really like it, tough calibration of a 4 axis probes isn't fun, after the learning curve, it was probably 20 minutes to dial it in. Super cool guy to chat with, I'm glad it went this route/all worked out for the best.
One newb question, why is it necessary to have the ruby tip? Why not just rounded/polished end of the brass (or whatever material it bay be made from) probe-stylus?

The ruby tip is non-conductive and is very wear resistant. The non-conductive aspect may not be important depending on the design of the probe. Most high end probe stylus are ceramic with a ruby tip.

Back