Headspace Question?

cross69

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a Husqvarna m640 chambered in 8x57. The bolt will not close on the go gauge, but it will close on the Azoom 8x57 snap caps that I own. Is having too little headspace like this going to be a problem? If so, what would you recommend? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks,

Do you have a sized case you could try to chamber. Or a loaded shell using safety precautions. Could be a gauge on the high size of tolerances. If you reload shouldn’t be a problem

Thanks, unfortunately, I don't have any ammo or brass for this rifle. I was planning to reload for it. Just waiting for the dies to be delivered.

Assuming it is in fact chambered for 8x57, if your sizing die can push the shoulder back far enough to chamber a piece of brass, or if a new piece of brass will chamber, you don’t have a problem.

I wonder what the deal is with your headspace gauge. SAAMI chamber specs are loose to begin with for variable factory ammo. If you're handloading it's going to be fine.

Assuming it is in fact chambered for 8x57, if your sizing die can push the shoulder back far enough to chamber a piece of brass, or if a new piece of brass will chamber, you don’t have a problem.
Thanks, I will test this out.

The most reliable measurement is with the go gauge (you are sure it is not a no-go gauge?). Snap caps are made smallish so that they fit any 8x57 out there. But to get an idea, add layers of tape to the base of a snap cap until you start feeling it get tight to chamber. That will give you some idea of the chambers headspace. Compare that to your go gauge headspace and to SAAMI specs.

It is very strange that you can not close the bolt on a go gauge. The chamber and bolt might need a good cleaning. I would want to fully understand why the go gauge does not pass even if you can resize brass to fit a short chamber.

What is the dimension stamped on your gauge? A Forster 8x57 go gauge 1.874". No go gauge is 1.880".

Tom

Back