Headspace Question?

@cross69 I would recommend buying a Hornady/Stony Point headspace measuring tool and a bullet comparator. Those two tools (used together) will do more for the accuracy of your loads than anything else I can think of. It gives you a repeatable method of measuring that you can control.
Agree! The Hornady is what I use. I haven't found any other reliable way to measure headspace from the datum to the case head. I have a a headspace gizmo that looks like a big nut with various holes that are supposed to pilot on the datum but I couldn't get consistant measurements with it. As my CF rifles are all bolt actions, I like to headspace them with noticable resistance to closing the bolt and a .001" jump to the rifling.

It is essential to measure the chamber's length in order to know how short to trim your brass. This tool is what I use for that purpose. It is easy to make your own version if you have a lathe.
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...s/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx
It will be necessary to sacrifice a new case but it is worth it. When your brass arrives each case should be inspected. Use a defective case if you find one to assemble a case length tool with the insert. If the defective case does not chamber and the shoulder needs to be bumped then resize it in .002'' increments until it fits.

If you are only reloading for one rifle then you do not need a lot of tools. A fired case will show what the chamber headspace is. However a tool that fits on your caliper for measuring bullet seating depth and headspace on the brass is the first tool I would buy (or make).

Agree! The Hornady is what I use. I haven't found any other reliable way to measure headspace from the datum to the case head. I have a a headspace gizmo that looks like a big nut with various holes that are supposed to pilot on the datum but I couldn't get consistant measurements with it. As my CF rifles are all bolt actions, I like to headspace them with noticable resistance to closing the bolt and a .001" jump to the rifling.
Thanks- I am looking into this now.

It is essential to measure the chamber's length in order to know how short to trim your brass. This tool is what I use for that purpose. It is easy to make your own version if you have a lathe.
https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...s/sinclair-chamber-length-gage-prod32925.aspx
It will be necessary to sacrifice a new case but it is worth it. When your brass arrives each case should be inspected. Use a defective case if you find one to assemble a case length tool with the insert. If the defective case does not chamber and the shoulder needs to be bumped then resize it in .002'' increments until it fits.

If you are only reloading for one rifle then you do not need a lot of tools. A fired case will show what the chamber headspace is. However a tool that fits on your caliper for measuring bullet seating depth and headspace on the brass is the first tool I would buy (or make).
Thank you. I don't have a lathe so I will purchase some of these for the calibers that I have.

Back