Headspace

Armourer

Registered
Registered
Many years ago I bought a barrel at an auction for peanuts for a remington 700, and I recently just bought an action for it. The barrel is a factory barrel already chambered so I was going to try and fit it to my action. I got thinking a bit on this and got wondering if I could set the headspace for it with the recoil lug. I was thinking about getting go and no go gauges, threading the barrel to the go gauge. Measuring the distance between the barrel tenon and the action and getting a recoil lug ground to that measurement to set headspace. I realize that I would have to either get a thick lug, or thiner one and it would be easier then setting the barrel back to achieve proper headspace. My question would this work? I plan on someday chambering and threading a barrel for my action once I got the money, and also skill set to do so!

No matter how you do it, get gages. No sense in hurting yourself over $50.

That's about the best way I've seen it done . Good thing getting the gauges tho. You may be able to rent them , I think they're rented like the reamers . Clymer I think is manufacturing them.

I was given a 270 barrel off a model 70 and I tried it on my Ruger 77. It screwed right in but was short on the headspace. I figured out the amount I needed and found a shim of the correct thickness and installed the barrel, shot many rounds through that barrel.

Thanks for the replies! I will be picking up the proper headspace gauges when I do it. The project may not get done for a few months, but when it does I will keep everyone updated.

A sidebar on fitting the Ruger barrel I didn't have the go-nogo gages but I did have a case length /headspace gage. From that I made my own headspce gage and did not have any problems. I know the gunsmiths are probably shuddering but its just figuring out the correct distance from shoulder to bolt face not like building rockets or anything.

I think too much ado is given to headspace.
Yes, we must have it set within a certain range for safety and standerdization but the reasons for headspace and
the possible consequences for over and under must be understood.
Many factory rifles have been produced that were a thousanths or three out and millions of military rifles were intentionally produced
with chambers so big that the brass couldn't safely be resized because it had expanded so drastically.
Factory ammunition is "short" and the shoulder has to move forward and/or the case has to stretch to fill the chamber.
How short varies with manufacturer but this causes more "working" of the brass and if chambers were all so carefully produced then why would
they need to produce short ammunition.
If you have a go-gauge and are careful to set the chamber to it you won't need a no-go gauge so you've saved some money.
If you cant set a chamber to a go-gauge then you need a bit of practice.
If you are a gunsmith you might need both gauges to check purchased rifles and for liability reasons.
So while we want to be perfect, or durn near it, "OCD RULES" it will only matter if you are a ultimate target shooter and maybe not then.
Just my two cents.

I made a headspace gauge today for my rifle build. It’s a .45acp.

32DD35A0-92D1-41FC-B086-3588D61590D8.jpeg

Back