Headstock question

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What is the situation with this style of headstock? Are the gears supposed to run dry or greased? Seems like the belt would be prone to getting greasy residue on it
Mark
lathebox1.jpg

Hi Mark,
that looks suspiciously like a Taiwanese 1236 :grin: (i have 2 Shenwai's with similar back gear arrangements)
the gears in the picture are the back gears.
they are supposed to be oil lubricated.
oil the gears sparingly to avoid a oil bath on the pulleys and belt
just about any oil would suffice (i use 30wt non-detergent, just before back gear use)
occasionally, i'll wipe my belts down with an isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) dampened rag, then with a dry rag

another note...
there is also a small threaded plug in the center of spindle pulley V that needs to be removed and a few drops of oil needs to go in the hole for lubrication of the bushings. (you can't see bushings, they are pressed into the pulley)
be careful to NOT overtighten the plug upon reassembly. (if you go to far with the plug, you'll run the plug into the spindle and groove the spindle)

good luck!

No it's not my lathe I was just wondering in case I do get one someday-thanks anyhow
I guess it's not all that different than a South Bend, everything is in a box instead of open like a southie
Doesn't seem like the most rigid design for a headstock though since it's essentially an unsupported box- the corners aren't even reinforced, but I guess it works well enough. A compromise, like everything
The threaded plug deal sounds similar to the Atlas one that gets mistakenly tightened down when it shouldn't be, it's just an oil hole
This is my machine and haven't even got room to set it up yet: Atlas 12" after headstock refurb
DSCN0325.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0246.JPG
    DSCN0246.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have one just like that, Jet 10x24 PY it is stronger that you would think
And like UlmaDoctor said. you have a little plug to pull out and oil the pully bushings. they only turn when you are in back gear. or at least on mine on mine intermediate pully set is on a bar with sealed bearings. So they do not need oil.
Mine is good but wish it was bigger and longer.

Back