[Mill] Heald horizontal mill, recently acquired

100LL

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a Heald horizontal milling machine and got it home. Been cleaning it up and had a few questions.

Anyone familiar with these? It came with a little bit of paperwork and I've found some stuff online. But I have a few questions beyond what I can find in the sales and parts literature.

Heald_1.jpg

Heald_7.jpg

I have one with no vertical head though. What questions do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, just my luck, first question I have is how to best remove the vertical head attachment. It looks to weigh a hundred pounds and if I loosen up the bolts I'm worried about it falling or some other disaster...I'm just not sure how it attaches on there exactly and don't want to mess it up so I'm looking for the removal/install procedures.

I'm wanting to take it off so I can repack the spindle bearing (which is my second question), and generally clean/grease everything.

Third question has to do with the Arbor. I have only one, and it doesn't have a keyway. My spindle is the 9 B&S version. I'm wanting to either find or make some more arbors.

I need to replace the belts too...and that's another question although I could probably figure that one out.

Well, the spindle belts were originally split and glued together after install. I used b size link belt, I think it's 80" circumference.

You might not need a keyway on the arbor. Mine has one and I use it, but I have heard of others not using one at all with no issues.

Here is a good resource for some of your other questions.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=5086&tab=3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me start by saying I do not have one of these mills, but can you lower the
head down close to the table, then make a wooden cradle of some sort that
securely holds onto the head? Then you can use your Z axis to take up
the weight of the head and the Y axis to slowly move the head away from the
column once you get your bolts loosened.

There is a guy on YouTube who goes by "This Old Tony" who has a Schaublin mill
and he put a dowel in his vertical head collet. He then used a V block to clamp
the dowel into his vise to support the head as he removed it from the mill. I have
no idea how the weight of his mill head compares to yours, whether or not this
could work for you...

Last edited:
That's a brilliant idea! thank you, I hadn't thought of that but it makes perfect sense.
I was about to build a little gantry structure on wheels.

Brown and Sharp #9 arbours are out there but hard to find. Watch EBay. I have made a few end mill holders for my Wells Index mill. It has a B&S #9 spindle.
Nice looking mill by the way.
Martin

Hi Tyler,

I have never seen one of those mills 'til now.
I have no advice, but just wanted to say what a great looking machine it is.

Your table looks new.
Any idea when it was made?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

-brino

Back