Heat treat to change color?

You have a single phase motor?

I heard/seen that some single phase motors can cause surface finish issues like that, something to do with the phase voltage timing and doesn't occur with 3 phase motors. I don't know much about AC motors so maybe someone can chime in if it's true.

Happened with my lathe but I only got it when facing alumnium at certain speeds. I never seen or noticed it with any other materials though. Couldn't actually feel the pattern with my finger nail. If I ran the belts loose it got much better, as in didn't get it nearly as much. I later switched to link belts & it completely went away.

Last edited:
That's interesting because I am having some belt problems at certain speeds. The belt from the motor to the countershaft seems to have a permanent bend or hump in it from sitting so long. At some speeds there is a visible vibration. I changed speeds and didn't see the vibration, but it might still be occuring to a lesser extent.

That's one of the reasons why I switched to the link belts. Both my belts eventually developed lumps from sitting too long. Maybe that alone could be the cause? I could of just went with quality belts but there's times in the year where may lathe doesn't get used for a while. Link belts don't develop memory, they're expensive though.

Back