Heat Treating Results...

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Oh, BTW... I looked at the MSDS for some of the commercial synthetic and semi-synthetic quenchants and they all seem to contain polyethelene glycol (PEG) as the main ingredient. That's the same main ingredient in most of the flood coolants such as Synkool. I suspect the products are very similar. I'll do a few tests next time I do some heat treating and let you know how it goes. Our weather warmed-up along with some humidity and the desire to do this has dropped-off a few points...

Ray

cdhknives...

Much thanks for the thoughtful reply and product links.

The stuff I work on is either for my own shop-made equipment (in which 1045 is just fine) or for adaptors of various sizes to convert pulleys, sheaves etc. and a handful fabrication parts for lawn mowers and tractors that do not really even need the surface hardening. This is all a lead-up to the bigger picture/plan I have in mind.

Ray

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Oh, BTW... I looked at the MSDS for some of the commercial synthetic and semi-synthetic quenchants and they all seem to contain polyethelene glycol (PEG) as the main ingredient. That's the same main ingredient in most of the flood coolants such as Synkool. I suspect the products are very similar. I'll do a few tests next time I do some heat treating and let you know how it goes. Our weather warmed-up along with some humidity and the desire to do this has dropped-off a few points...

Ray
I have a friend who is a Chemical Engineer and worked at Mobil for a few years. She was fairly knowledgeable about quenchant chemistry, but I only recall discussing mineral oil based products, not synthetic...but it's a great reason to give an old friend a call!

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code